Kildare Town AFC 5  Clane United 0


Kildare Town AFC opening the scoring on the half hour. When Clane went on the break Colin Scanlon defends the ball with a pass to Pento Sage and he in turn sent a though ball to the youthful Brandon O Keefe who put  neatly by the visiting keeper to put the home side 1-0 up.
Three minutes later kildare break on the ball and with a nice one two between Nathan Gahan and Brandon O’Keeffe resulted in him adding his and his side’s second.
Clane break straight from kick off but kildare keeper was straight of his feet to block the effort.
The home side made it 3-0 four minutes later  when Nathan Gahan tips the ball over the Clane rearguard and chipped in from all of 20 yards past Sheridan in the visitng goal.
With twenty minutes remaining the home side were awarded a free kick from the half way line which Colin Scanlon steps up to cooly slot home to make it 4-0. With ten minutes on the clock the KDFL young player of the year last year,  O’Keeffe, completed his hat trick to make it 5-0 to the home side.
It went from bad to worse for the Clane men as Kildare keeper Johnny Clarke saved a penalty late on before Kildare added a fifth through  Best for kildare Brandon O keeffe while Paddy Walshe was Clane’s best on the day.


Monread FC 0 Ballycane Celtic 3


Ballycane got off to the best possible start when Sean Farrell poked home a Stephen Quinn corner after just eight minutes to edge ahead against the reigning Senior League champions Monread FC. Ballycane were playing at a high tempo not giving Monread any time on the ball. Sean Farrell again got on the score sheet after another superb cross from Quinn on the half hour.  The home side were restricted  to long range efforts none of which troubled keeper Keith Higgins. Farrell had a chance of a hatrick  on five minutes before the break from a free kick but the Monread keeper somehow got down low into the left hand corner to make an outstanding save that had the large crowd applauding.

Ballycane experienced a set back early in the second half when they lost the influential Farrell to injury after just two minutes of restart and they had to make some hasty adjustments. Monread started to control the play a bit more but as in the first half could find no way through Ballycane’s well marshalled defence. The only real threat was a free kick which dealt with by Higgins comfortably. The visitors continued to be a threat and in the dying moments Keelan Noone ran on to a long ball and finished to make it 3 nil. On a day when the whole team played their part ones to mention are scorer Farrell, Robert Heavey in midfield, Dean loughran at left full and Man of Match Noel Byrne at right full.


Castle Villa AFC 1 Caragh Celtic 0


Liam Murphy masterminded a well-deserved win for his new-look Castle Villa side on a sunny Sunday afternoon in Mullarney Park. The return of Villa legend Murphy to the managerial position in the club has clearly rejuvenated the side and a lot of new faces impressed in a 1-0 win over a visiting Caragh Celtic side.

Villa came out of the traps fast, and a combination of pace in attack and hard work without the ball ensured they had the better of the majority of the first half. Keith Leigh went close with a right footed effort, and Kevin Anthony was unlucky not to head home a brilliant Paul Huntingdon cross after 22 minutes. Shane Fennell was terrorising the right side of the Caragh defence, with pace and skill aplenty, and his colleague at left back, Aidan Murphy got forward at every opportunity. Try as they might however, the goal would just not come for the Castledermot men, and indeed they could have found themselves one behind against the run of play, when after 44 minutes, a great through ball found the feet of the Caragh attacker, but his poked effort was pushed just outside under pressure from Villa keeper Killian Deere.  Villa didn’t hang around to get going after the break and some great battling by James Byrne saw the ball fall to Shane Fennell who sent a bullet to the top right hand corner of the Caragh net in the 46th minute. Caragh came back fighting and had some big chances but the villa defence under the leadership of Kevin Anthony and Jamie Doyle held firm and the home sides passing game helped them control the game and see out the final few minutes in the Caragh half. Best for villa Aidan Murphy, Kevin Anthony, Stephen McDonald and goal scorer and man of the match Shane Fennell.



Suncroft AFC 2 Naas United FC 2


A new look Suncroft started off there league campaign at home to an experienced Naas Utd, Suncroft started off well and controlled the early exchanges. With early chances from distance falling to Shane Bennett and Dylan Connelly however they never really troubled the Naas goalkeeper. With twelve minutes on the clock Ray Coleman split the Naas defence with one of his trademark passes, to Connolly who was fouled twenty five yards from goal, Connolly dusted himself off and hit the cross bar with the resulting free kick. Twenty minutes in and Suncroft were found themselves 1-0 up when some brilliant free playing football from JP McDonagh, Brendan Curtis and Shane Bennett played in the skilful Kieran Morris who in turn beat 3 defenders to curl the ball into the top corner. Connolly and Bennett were a constant thorn in the Naas defence along with Niall Flynn. It was much the same in the early stages of the second half with Suncroft controlling matters, Kieran Sheedy was linking up well on the right hand side with Morris Suncroft having a lot of joy down this side now and pushing hard for the 2nd goal of the game. The home side eventually doubled their advantage on the 75th minute when some fantastic football being played between Sheedy, Connolly and Morris with the latter hitting a pin point cross to Bennett who hit the ball full on the volley right into the top corner. That was to be Bennett’s last touch of the game as he had to retire early when he sustained an injury. Two minutes later the game should have been put to bed when Curtis blazed over from close range. Naas to their credit never gave up and pulled one back after 82 minutes through Wayne Doyle and in the dying moment captured a well deserved point when Jack Conway equalised. Best for Suncroft were Kieran Morris, Shane Bennett JP McDonagh, Niall Flynn and their man of the match was Brendan Curtis while for Naas who were rewarded for their never say die attitude Wayne Doyle and Kyle Denny were best.


Rathangan AFC 1 Clonmullion AFC 3


2018 Premier League and Cup double winners Clonmullion AFC’s return to the top flight in the KDFL started away to Rathangan F.C in the CR Wynne Feeds Senior Division at Calan road on Sunday. The game was only three minutes old when they found themselves one nil down. The visitors lost the ball cheaply in midfield and Tommy Power punished them when he squared the ball to Jason Dempsey to slot home from close range giving KDFL Premier player of the year Mick Lawless no chance in the visiting goal.

Clonmullion settled after the shaky start and a great ball over the top from Cody Mulhall saw Ross Cardiff go close on ten minutes and just five minues later Corey Lamonn Moore put Lee Doyle’s in only to have his effort brilliantly tipped over by Lee Moore in the home goal. The newly promoted side continued to search for the equaliser and when Rickie Moriarty dummied a ball from Darren Harrison,  Nathan Robinson was again denied by Rathangan netminder Moore who was living a charmed life.


The second half started in similar fashion but a rare Rathangan attack saw Iain Doyle find the dangerous Dempsey with a precise pass which brought the best out of Michael Lawless in the visitors goal. Five minutes later home keeper Moore again denied Clonmullion’s Mulhall after substitute Stephen Donovan had teed him up. Soon after a remarkable passage of play saw great wing play from Rathangan full back Luke Gill overlapping down the right and crossing for the dangerous Doyle who seen his effort brilliantly parried by Lawless. The visitors broke swiftly and Moore again saved a deflected effort from Robinson and from the resultant save he denied what looked like a certain goal for Moriarty. Clonmullion finally equalised when the industrious Ricky Moriarty ghosted in at the back post to head home a Robinson corner on the 52nd minute to make it all square. This seemed to galvanize the visitors and ten minutes later Stephen Donovan put them ahead after Robinson cross beat the Rathangan defence. The home side pressed hard for an equaliser and left themselves open at the back and excellent wing play from substitute Brody Lawless making his competitive debut slid the ball to Robinson to make it 3 -1  with ten minutes remaining. Best for Rathangan were Jason Dempsey,  Tom Power, Iain Doyle and a man of the match performance from keeper Lee Moore. Best for Clonmullion were midfield trio of Moriarity, Harrison and Robinson while Lee Doyle up front and Oisin Boylan at the back were excellent.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.