CR Wynne Feeds Senior League Focus

CR Wynne Feeds Senior League Focus

Clane United 1 Clonmullion AFC 0


Clonmullion suffered their first defeat over ninety minutes for the first time in two years going down 1 nil to title rivals Clane Utd at Ballinagappa Road. The home side started the better and Eoin Maguire saw his effort brilliantly cleared off the line by Jason Whelan in only the third minute. Clane keeper Alan Sheridan then sent a long punt down field which was headed on by Maguire to Killian Patcell who finished clinically past Michael Lawless on ten minutes to put the home side 1-0 up. The visitors went close five minutes later after good work by Nathan Robinson set up Alex Whelan who shot over from inside the box. Stephen Donovan then headed just wide from a great run and cross by Rickie Moriarty. Sheridan made a fantastic save again from Donovan after a slick exchange between Moriarty and Robinson on the half hour. Cody Mulhall then combined with the dangerous Robinson to cross to Donovan only to see his effort tipped on to the crossbar by the excellent the home goal.

The second half continued in the same fashion with Clonmullion laying siege to the home side’s goal and Robinson was again denied when he shot from all of thirty five yards out only to see the Clane stopper tip his effort over. Wave after wave of attacks from the league leaders were brilliantly denied by Gavin O Dwyer and Trevor Beale at the heart of the back four for Clane. Then with five minutes remaining Mulhall beat two players only to see his shot rebound off the under side of the crossbar and headed clear by Beale. In the 90th minute Oisin Boylan played a lovely one two with Moriarty and laid the ball in to the path of Alex Whelan and his side footed shot was blocked on the line by O Dwyer. A combination of brilliant defending and loose finishing saw Clane take the spoils in a very entertaining match. Best for the home side were keeper Sheridan, scorer Killian patchell, Stephen Dunne with O Dwyer and Beale at the back and Maguire worked tirelessly up front. And for a gallant Clonmullion were Shane Foley and Ross Cardiff at the back Moriarity and Robinson in midfield and Alex Whelan up front.




Rathangan AFC 2 Monread FC 4


Both sides started off well with Monread having the early chances, it didn’t take long before they were 1-0 up through Podge Ennis. On the twentieth minute the Visitors doubled their advantage through Dean Bowers following good work by Keane Cully. Ten minutes from the interval Monread added a third through a second from Dean Bowers.

Rathangan fared much better in the second half with chances from Jason Dempsey and Iain Doyle and the home side continued to enjoy long periods of possession and finally on the hour mark Jason Dempsey got his much deserved goal with a good finish in the bottom corner. Both sides were playing some good football and Monread had yet another chance before with fifteen minutes to go and a good through ball from Iain Doyle to Tommy power who was taken down in the box led to a penalty which was converted by Rathangan’s Shane Kennedy to put the minimum between the sides.

Rathangan had a change of shape and were pushing hard for the equaliser when a Monread freekick beside the corner flag led to their fourth goal with a good header from Keane Cully following some good work from Brian Woulfe. Best for Monread were Bowers and Woulfe while for Rathangan Jason Dempsey, Darragh O’Loughlin and Iain Doyle were best.



Inny FC 2 Naas United FC 3


Eoin Moran put the visitors wup early in the first half before a long throw in deep inside Naas Utd half from skipper Mark Brady found the target of frontman Jarlath Boyce who found the bottom corner with a powering header to level matters on the half hour. Inny keeper Ruairi Coyne had to be at his best to keep the Naas attack at bay and at the other end Paddy Cheever was unlucky to be denied a goal by a Nas defender who spectacularly cleared off the line and the sides went in even steven at 1-1 at the break.

Inny started the second half strong and Some good defending from Jamie Loran set winger Mark Hickey away to skip and ride his way down the wing to deliver an inch perfect ball for the forwarding Paddy Cheevers to checkily back heel the ball into the net and put the Westmeath side 2-1 up early in the second half. Naas rallied and goals from Owen Moran, Wayne Doyle and Jamie Dunne secured victory for the vistors Best for Naas were Jamie Dunne and Conor Coady. Best for Inny were Hickey and Cheevers.



Kildare Town AFC 0 Suncroft AFC 4



Suncroft on the road once more with a local derby game against Kildare Town AFC. This is a game normally which form goes right out the window and today was to be no different.

From the get go Kildare as a unit were a hungry side with Brandon O’Keefe taking the initiative on several occasions to try to break through the Croft defence. The home side also were playing defensively and preventing Suncroft from getting any rythmn going snapping into challenge after challenge. With both goal keepers having not much involvement in the game until a Dylan Connelly effort forced a save from the Kildare stopper after twenty five  minutes. On the half hour Suncroft’s Shane Bennett was fouled twenty five yards from goal and Connolly stepped up and just blazed inches wide. For the last ten minutes of the half Suncroft looked to grab a foothold on the game. Kieran Sheedy and Bennett linked up well again to win another free kick. Connolly again stepped up and with the keeper beaten the ball went just over the crossbar to leave the sides going in 0-0 to the break.

A few strong words from the Croft Management with two changes Ray Coleman in for Ryan Dick and Ryan Burke in for Shane Dillon saw an extra bite in the Croft attack on the resumption. Suncroft started the second half with a real tempo now. Bennett playing up top now along side JP McDonagh. Fifty minutes in and the Croft went 1-0 up when some super play between Coleman, Sheedy and Curtis with the latter playing a through ball to Bennett and he made no mistake placing the ball to the bottom corner of the net and two minutes later Bennett was at it again. Lanigan and Connolly linking up well, Lanigan playing the ball into the feet of McDonagh who in turn played Bennett through on goal with a silky backheel and Bennett finished off well to the corner of the Kildare net to double the visitors advantage. Suncroft well on top now winning most duels on the pitch and on the hour they added a third when again it was Lanigan and Connolly combining well. Lanigan won the ball from a Kildare attack and played straight to Connolly and the tricky forward beats two men easily before crossing in a low ball for a goal for Niall Flynn. Suncroft now were really well and truly on top and could have added number 4 on a few occasions. Bennett working the Kildare keeper on a few occasions. The fourth goal came in the 80th minute when some fabulous play between Curtis ,Ryan Burke and Sheedy played the ball to Connolly who then brilliantly put through McDonagh, with the keeper rushing out off his line McDonagh lobbed him great finish to leave the final score at  4-0. Infairness to the young Kildare outfit they never gave in and worked their socks off. Best for Suncroft were Sheedy,Bennett,Curtis ,McDonagh  and today’s man of the match Dylan Connelly while for Kildare Keith Scanlon and Brandon O’Keefe were best.



Ballycane Celtic 3 Caragh Celtic FC 0


The visitors started the game strong and were right up to task disrupting Ballycane’s efforts to put any sort of play together. The home side’s first attempt came in the twentieth minutes when Christy Higgins put inform striker Sean Farrell through with Farrell shooting just wide. Again on twenty fifith minute Farrell got on to a Keelan Noone knock on and shot first time but the Caragh keeper saved well to his left. Jordan Martella was causing Caragh all sorts of trouble on the left wing and played in a number of crosses that Ballycane failed to get on the end of. In the 38th min Christy Higgins beat the left winger of Caragh and drove in to the area and was fouled by the full back penalty Ballycane. Sean Farrell put the spot away to put the home side 1-0 up.

The Second half again started off strong the visitors frustrating Ballycane time and time again however the home side doubled their lead when Keelan Noone again rose highest and headed Farrell on to race through to make it 2-0 on the fifth fourth minutes.

Ten minutes from the end Sean Aylesbury played a super ball Stephen Quinn who played in Noone who could have shot but instead passed to Farrell who shot low to keepers right to complete his second hatrick in as many games. Ballycane emptied their bench for the remaining ten mins of the game and comfortably saw out the game. Best for the winners were Sean Aylesbury Dean Loughran and Man of Match hatrick hero Sean Farrell who now has 12 goals in the five games.


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.