Hoey Spar Moorefield Division 1 Kilcullen AFC                      4              Arlington FC       4

Hoey Spar Moorefield Division 1 Kilcullen AFC                      4              Arlington FC       4

Feature game – Herald Newspaper

Kilcullen AFC were crowned Hoey Spar Moorefield Division 1 league champions today following their game against Arlington FC on Sunday. On a brisk and cool autumnal morning in South Kildare, Kilcullen AFC and Arlington FC met in this end of season game. Both teams came into the game on run of recent good form and still challenging for silverware. With Kilcullen already in two finals, the Div 1 Cup final next weekend and the League Shield Final and Arlington in the semi finals of the Div 1-2-3 Shield this was always going to be a cracker and it certainly lived up to expectation.

Both teams started at a frenetic pace with both lacking composure on the ball in the final third of the field. Arlington were first to strike on ten minutes when left back Chris Hoskins scored directly from a drilled free kick from the right side of the pitch to put the visitors 1-0 up. Arlington continued to make chance after chance and on twenty minutes the ever dangerous Mikey Cunningham struck the Kilcullen crossbar. The home side’s chances were few and far between but the Arlington keeper Jordan Dunne made some fine catches from crosses and corners and made a fine save from Kilcullen’s , Eoghan Kirby on the half hour. Kilcullen were denied five minutes from the break when Graham McCormack’s shot hit the Arlington post and went wide.

The home side were punished soon after on forty three minutes when a cross by Arlington’s Seb Nochowicz was met by Mikey Cunningham who coolly slotted home to make it 2-0 Arlington. Kilcullen worked hard in the middle of the park and won a free kick, which was quickly taken by Colin Byrne who crossed to Eoghan Kirby who scored with a brave header to make it 2-1 on the stroke of half time to see the home side trailing 2-1 going into the break.

The second half started as the first half finished with Kilcullen’s Colin Byrne running at the Arlington defence and shooting from 20 yards to make it 2-2 after only one minute of the re-start, game on.  Arlington’s response was immediate when Mikey Cunningham took advantage of a Kilcullen mistake at the back to make it 3-2 Arlington just one minute later.

Both teams continued to make chances and Kilcullen were rewarded on the hour when the forever young Brian Collins made it 3-3 when he slotted home from a Kilcullen corner. Both sides continued to make chances but the best was certainly left to the last when on eighty six minutes from inside his own half the thorn in Kilcullen’s side Arlington’s number 9 Mikey Cunningham scored from his own half to make it 4-3 to the visitors, surely the winner for the Portarlington men. However Kilcullen had other ideas and in the last minute of the game David O’Connor scored with a bullet header from a Sean Hurley cross to make it 4-4. A dramatic end to what was a super display by both sides. Best for the home side were David O’Connor, Colin Murra, Jordon Dunne and Dave Thorpe. Best for Arlington but Man of the Match goes to Mikey Cunningham.



Kilcullen AFC – Ian McDonnell, Sean Hurley, Brian Collins, Sean O Brien, Robert Lee, Graham McCormack, David O Connor, Colin Moriarty, Colm Byrne, Darragh Kelly, Eoghan Kirby, Sean Corrigan, Michael Poufang, Sean Hayes, Robbie Cullen, Neil Kavanagh, Shay Pembroke, Kieran Brennan.

Arlington FC – Jordan Dunne, Ben Slevin, Chris Hoskins, David Thorpe, Adam Kirwin, Warren Carroll, Joe Tully, Jack Lennon, Mikey Cunningham, Sebastian Nochowicz, Tristan Carroll, Aaron Walsh, Phil Kane, Aaron Knight.

Official – Martin Hickey.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.