top of page

Feature Game Leinster Leader

KDFL Division 1 Cup (Quarter Final)

Newbridge United 5 Arlington AFC 1

On Sunday Newbridge Utd hosted Arlington FC for the KDFL Division 1 cup Quarter Final at their newly prepared pitch at Corrigan Park, with the whistle getting the game started, the 1st chance fell to Arlington's Jordan Dunne, it was picked up from the kick off and he made his way through two players to get his shot off, shortly after the 1st kick out from the Newbridge keeper, Arlington picked up on a loose ball again in midfield playing it out to the wing to Akos Szesztras who crossed the ball to the back post where Arlington's Osama Boulhdbar connected with it with his head but put wide, Arlington seemed to be wanting it more however it was the home side who took the lead on five minutes when a long Glen Bracken free kick towards the box was met by Karl Hegarty who touched the ball first time in behind the defence for Richard Farrell who took it by the keeper and finished into an empty net to put United 1-0 up. United found their stride early in this game and a Jamie Brooks corner was punched clear by the keeper but only as far as Adam McCormack who caught the ball sweetly first time and hammered in to make it two nil after thirteen minutes. United kept attacking and James Mahoney, Aaron Bennett and Bruno Walraven forced saves. From the kick off Arlington pushed again with Jordan Dunne finding his way through the Newbridge defence to get another shot off but to no avail, The Newbridge keeper kicked a quick ball out catching Arlington off guard, Newbridge on the counter and Arlington's Craig Fleet managed to get back and make the clearance for a corner.

United’s Barry Lyons was barely called upon in the first half but when he was he made a fine fingertip save knocking the ball against the post. Arlington finally mounted a bit of pressure late on in the first half and only for a brilliant last ditch tackle by Aaron Bennett could have pulled one back.

After a very comfortable first half United went out into the second half brimming with confidence and it showed because with less than a minute gone James Mahoney found Jamie Brooks with a through ball and Brooksy buried the ball into the corner to put three between the sides. Arlington made a change of formation and of players at the break to see could they get back into the game. But it didn't start well however ten minutes later Arlington played some great football down the right hand side with Cormac Boland whipped the ball across for the half time sub Darren Warren to slot it home and get one back for the away team making it 3-1. Arlington started to push for a second but with a high tackle from Akos Szesztras it was a second yellow which was followed by a red and they found themselves down to ten men. It was evened out soon after when United had Darragh Millar sent off with a straight red. Arlington tried to come at United late on but we're caught out and after a string of nice passes the ball came to McCormack who played a lovely long diagonal ball through the defence and found Brooksy who bagged his second goal of the game to make it 4-1 with minutes to go. United pushed again and after some lovely play between Rickey Caffrey and James Mahoney, United won a penalty. Brooksy unselfishly gave the penalty to James Mahoney who saw his shot saved by the keeper but he made no mistake when the rebound fell into his path. Best for the winners was Adam McCormack.

17 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page