top of page


Lumsden League Cup Semi Final.

Coill Dubh AFC 0 Clane United FC 2

Clane United FC progressed to the Lumsden League Cup Final for the first time since 2010 following their victory over local rivals Coill Dubh AFC on Sunday. This hotly anticipated KDFL Lumsden League Cup all Senior Div clash between Coill Dubh AFC and Clane United FC was hampered by the heavy underfoot conditions following a deluge of overnight rain. Host Allenwood Celtic pulled out all the stops to ensure the game went ahead at their pristinely prepared grounds.

The opening exchanges were a nervous affair with both defences cancelling each other out. The first real chance of the game fell to Clane United on the twelfth minute when a quick free kick was half cleared by the Dubh defence and fell kindly to Cathal Geoghegan who shot narrowly wide.

Soon after at the other end Clane keeper Sean Brennan had to be at his best to an effort from Joe Bowers. It was end to end at this stage and Clane found themselves on the attack again midway through the half when a great through ball from the impressive Geoghegan found Owen Maguire in space and he brought a fantastic save from Coill Dubh keeper Luke Anderson. Just before the break it was Coill Dubh who almost made it 1-0 but Keeper Brennan came to Clane’s rescue following an effort from Barry Noone. The sides went in deadlocked at 0-0 at the break.

Five minutes into the second half Clane eventually made the break through when a defensive clearance ended in a sideline ball to Clane. It was taken quickly with Geoghegan again picking up and unleashing an unstoppable shot to the right hand side of Luke Anderson’s net to put Clane 1-0 up.

Coill Dubh pushed forward to search of an equaliser leaving themselves vulnerable at the back. With twenty minutes to go Clane doubled their advantage awarded a penalty. Stephen Dunne stepped up and put the ball beyond Anderson to the delight of their large travelling contingent. Clane’s defence closed ranks to see the remainder of the tie out and progress to the final where they will take on current Lumsden League Cup holders Clonmullion AFC in Castledermot next Sunday afternoon. Best for the winners were Dean Comiskey and Stephen Geoghegan. While for Coill Dubh who are disappointed they did not play to their full potential 16 year old Noah Byrne impressed.

Lumsden League Cup Semi Final.

Clonmullion AFC 3 Kilcullen AFC 0

Following a rain sodden morning this tie took place at Clane United’s all weather facility at Doctor’s road when the original grass venue was deemed unplayable. Current Lumsden Cup holders Clonmullion F.C. took on fellow Senior League side Kilcullen in the first semi final of the day. Kilcullen were the first to threaten when a loose ball out of defense was intercepted by Daragh Reilly who laid the ball neatly off to Paul Clifford but he shot wide. On the quarter hour mark some great work by Lee Foley saw him pass to Jodie Dillion who flicked it on to Cody Mulhall who cleverly dummied the ball and left it for the in rushing Danny Thompson who appeared to be impeded in the box by Shane Higgins but the referee waved play on. Five minutes later Keeper Kieran Brennan hit a long ball to Brian Murphy who headed it on to Robbie Lee but he failed to threaten Michael Lawless in the Clonmullion goal.

On the half hour mark some neat interplay between Johnny Fennell and Dillon set Mulhall down the right wing and he pulled the ball back into the box but Dillon pulled his effort just wide. Then came two set pieces in quick succession when Nathan Robinson and Mulhall both delivered excellent set pieces but Clonmullion had no one on the back post on both occasions. However the same duo combined on a short corner routine straight off the training ground for Mulhall to fire a rasping effort passed Brennan to put The Mull one up. Two minutes later another well rehearsed set piece paid dividends when Mulhall and Garry Comerford combined on a short free kick for Dillon to power through and make it 2 nil at the break.

Five minutes into the second half Clonmullion should have been three up when Lawless picked out Mulhall who’s beautiful first touch allowed him to roll the ball to Dillon but he shot just wide. Kilcullen went up the other end and Higgins put a lovely ball through to Mark Wolfe but he failed to hit the target. With twenty five minutes left Clonmullion made the game safe when Garry Comerford picked out Mulhall with a brilliant pinpoint pass and as he bore down on goal keeper Brennan fouled him and the ref pointed to the spot. Mulhall made no mistake from the penalty. The holders used their advantage to empty the bench and were delighted to be able to introduce fit again Mark Hughes in for the outstanding Timmy Doyle and Dean Owens for Mulhall. With ten minutes remaining Comerford went on a brilliant individual run and was only foiled by a great last ditch tackle by Alan Dignam. Robinson was next to be denied by a great tackle from Higgins after playing a great one two with Evan Phillips. Clonmullion march on to the final with good performances from Doyle and Fennell at the back Robinson and Comerford in the middle and Mulhall and Dillon up top. Best for Kilcullen were Alan Crowe, Brennan in goals Higgins and Dignam at the back, Murphy and Clifford in the middle while Wolfe was a danger all game.

Leinster FA Junior Cup (Round 2)

SPWFC 0 Newtown United 5

SPWFC made their exit from the LFA Junior Cup at the second round stage when they went down 5-0 to NEFL side Newtown United FC.

41 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page