top of page

Feature game

Leinster Football Association Over 35 Cup (Second round)

Longwood FC 1 St Anthonys Kilcoole FC 3

KDFL’s Longwood FC made their exit from the LFA Over 35 Cup at the round 2 stage on Saturday when they went down by the odd goal in three to St. Anthonys Kilcoole FC in an entertaining game at Longwood.

The game started at a very high tempo with both sides trying to gain the upper hand. The home side found themselves 1-0 down early on when Brendan Hannon was adjudged to have fouled the St Anto’s striker in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. Longwood went on the attack from the tip off with Joe Mullen giving the visitors defence a torrid time. The home side’s Tim Kavanagh had a glorious opportunity to level matters midway through the half however he saw his good effort go narrowly wide of the visitor’s goal.

The home side made a tactical change brining on Richard Mullen and he made an early impression however it was the visitors who went 2-0 up against the run of play and this game Longwood a mountain to climb. The home side’s woes increased when their keeper Kevin Costello had to retire due to injury. However Longwood never gave up the ghost and dominated for long periods with the impressive Joe Mullen winning the midfield battle. In one attack Mullen saw James Giles free and send him a pin point pass, he skipped past two Anto’s defenders and fires on goal, the visiting keeper managed to parry the ball away however Giles followed through to fire home and put the minimum between the sides again. It could have been all square just before the break when a long kick out from the visiting keeper was intercepted by Brendan Hannon his mazy run was cut short when Anto’s conceded a corner. Joe Mullen’s in swinging corner was headed just wide by Lenny Palmer at the back post.

The second half started with Longwood on the attacked, they had appeals for a penalty waved away by the referee when Timmy Kavanagh was adjudged to have fouled. With fifteen minutes remaining St Antony’s extended their lead when Longwood were chasing the game for an equaliser Anto’s broke and scored from close range to put them 3-1 up. The home side never gave up with Joe Mullen and Lenny Palmer’s encouragement however the visitors closed up their defence and saw the game out to progress to the next round. Best for Longwood were Joe Mullen and Lenny Palmer.

Not long left on the clock 15 minutes left to play. St Anthonys win a corner, ball goes in to longwood

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page