top of page

Feature game

KDFL Martin Moloney Shield (Quarter Final)

Kildare Town AFC 2 1 Suncroft AFC

Kildare Town AFC’s Division 1 side booked their place in the new KDFL Martin Moloney Shield on Sunday when they overcame near neighbours Suncroft AFC by the odd goal in three. They now face the winners of Old Fort Celtic/Castle Villa, yet to be decided in the Semi Final. This was a very competitive quarter final game with the home side taking the lead on the nineteenth minute when a fabulous cross from Luke Byrne found Graham Marum in the box and although it was slightly behind him, Graham managed to head it down and into the corner to put Kildare 1-0 up.

Kildare were looking to avenge their two league defeats at the hands of Suncroft and doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when Michael “Mickey” Conway’s shot crashed off the post and came back to the on-rushing Adam O’Keeffe who managed to play it back to goal only to see that shot rebound off the post also. Suncroft scrambled it away and from the resulting corner from Dan Donovan, Lee Higinbottom rose highest to score a brilliant header much to delight of Kildare’s manager Liam Maher.

In the second half Suncroft started much the better team. In the 48th minute Kildare’s Adam O’Keeffe had a great shot crash off the Suncroft crossbar. Suncroft’s second half Dominance was rewarded with a penalty for hand ball following a Liam McKnight through ball struck the hand of Kildare Dan Donovan, Croft Captain Captain Owen Cox calmly slotted away the penalty to put the minimum between the sides.

Kildare’s Midfield and Defence where under a lot of pressure with great performances throughout, with special mention to a very solid centre back partnership of Adam Christie and Stephen “Chucky” Corrway. In 68th minute Kildare took off Lee Higginbottom and he was replaced by Jake Sumner and Luke Byrne was replaced by Jake Doyle, later Graham Marum was replaced by Matthew O’Rourke and Adam O’Keeffe was replaced by Leon Murphy. Suncroft kept creating chances, but Kildare hung on to proceed to the semi finals. A special mention to Kildare’s left back Killian Talbot and goalkeeper AJ Enright who as younger squad members played excellent. Best for Suncroft was Own Cox.

21 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page