top of page

Feature game

Leinster Football Association Over 35 Cup (Round 1)

Newbridge Town FC 0 Mullingar Town FC 0

(Newbridge Town FC win 3-1 on penalties after full time)

Newbridge Town welcomed Mullingar Town to Station Road for the 1st round fixture in the LFA O35s cup. Both of these clubs would have played each other regularly back in the day when Newbridge Town fielded teams in the CCFL, and as usual between these clubs it was a tight fiercely contested game, and an added spice to the game was a few former opponents from a KDFL club, were now playing with Mullingar Town.

From the kick off both teams went at almost immediately in an attempt to get the early upper hand and cancelling each other out. It was Mullingar Town who had a chance in the 7th minute when they were awarded a free kick, taken by Gerry Bowen, which was whipped in to the Newbridge Town box which was well defended and cleared by the evergreen Robbie Donnelly, the ball fell to the feet of John Toland who took it over the halfway line and played the ball into the path of an onrushing Richie Kelly, who got to the bye-line and played a fabulous cross toward David Standford, and as he went to head the ball he was challenged by the Mullingar defender David Masterson who got the slightest touch to clear the ball away. Newbridge Town were playing some good football and from right full, Robbie Donnelly played across field ball to the left wing into the path of Neil (Blondie) Corr, and his control let him down on this occasion. It was Mullingar’s midfielder Gerry Bowen, up against two experienced midfielders in Philly Gorman and Dave Gill,  trying his best to get his team going as it was Newbridge Town who looked likely to score first. Mullingar Town created a chance when Mark Brady played the ball into Michael Faolan who evaded the Newbridge Town defence, but it was brilliantly saved at his feet by Mark Adverdijk. As the half wore on both teams were cancelling each other out, both teams were creating opportunities whether it was a corner, or a shot, both defences and keepers were kept busy. At half-time the scored remained 0-0.

Mullingar Town brought on Steven Thompson for the second half, to assist his colleague Gerry Bowen as they tried to get their team on the front foot from the off, he brought a bit of guile and skill to the Mullingar team, which wasn’t present in the first half. Again, there was some tasty and crunching tackles from both teams and the pendulum was swinging to Mullingar, and again Newbridge Town defended brilliantly by Eoin Hetherington and Robbie Donnelly in the middle of defence and Mark Adverdijk between the posts behind them. At the other end Newbridge Town created a chanced, when Richie Kelly was played in and his tamely hit shot was saved by the Mullingar keeper, Adrain Rapalk. The game was beginning to open up a bit more, Newbridge Town were awarded a free out on the right for a late challenge, the free was taken by David Gill, and his cross was headed goalwards by John Toland. Newbridge won a succession of corners, but unfortunately were unable to take advantage. While chasing the opening goal, Newbridge had to remain on alert to the counter attack, and on one occasion Steven Thompson, won the ball deep in his half and launched the ball forward into the path of Barry Egerton, with Newbridge calling for offside, he ran onto the through ball, and he rushed his shot as he was challenged by the defender David Murphy, which went wide of the Newbridge Town goal, it must have taken a deflection in the challenge as a corner was awarded to Mullingar, which again was dealt with by a saved by the Newbridge keeper, Mark Adverdijk. He quickly released the ball to Philly Gorman, and his interaction with David Gill, who played in Blondie, and his attempt resulted in a corner to Newbridge Town. The corner was taken by Philly Gorman, who found the head of David Gill, and as his header back across the face of the goal was destined for the corner only to be headed of the line by the Mullingar defender, David Masterson, who conceded another corner. The same player combination of Philly Gorman and David Gill was involved and the effort by David Gill was saved this time by the Mullingar keeper, Adrian Rapalk. As the game entered the last few minutes Newbridge tried to open the scoring and had a shout for a late penalty waved away, when David Gill appeared to be fouled in the box. In the last-minute Mullingar launched a counter attack, which Mark Adverdijk and defender Ian Murphy dealt with between them. With that the game ended 0 – 0, and headed for penalties.

It was Newbridge Town who won the toss and opted to go first, with David Gill, Richie Kelly and Thomas McLoughlin all successful for Newbridge Town with Steven Thompson being the only scorer for Mullingar Town. So in the battle of the old foes it is Newbridge Town that was successful on the day 3-1 after penos after 0 – 0 at FT.

It is Newbridge Town that go forward into the next round of the LFA O35s cup.

Best on the day for Mullingar Town was Gerry Bowen, Steven Thompson and Barry Egerton. Best for Newbridge Town was Mark Adverdijk, Robbie Donnelly, Philly Gorman, Eoin Hetherington and David Murphy.

31 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page