top of page

Feature Game

KDFL under 20 Division

Caragh Celtic FC 6 Clongorey FC 2

Caragh Celtic welcomed Clongorey FC to a rain soaked Donore on Saturday for this KDFL U20

league fixture.  This was Caragh's final home league fixture in the inaugural season of the U20 league

and the home team finished their home league campaign in style with a comfortable 6-2 win.

The home side opened brightly with some slick passing and dominated the early possession stakes. 

However Clongorey stunned the home support after five minutes when they took an unexpected lead

with their first venture into the Caragh half.  There didn't appear to be any real danger to the Caragh

goal but an under hit back pass in the wet conditions gifted possession to Clongorey striker Conor

Kealy who gratefully accepted the gift to put his team 1-0 up.

This unexpected setback didn't seem to unsettle Caragh though and they continued to pass the ball

well and put the Clongorey lads on the back foot.  The home team didn't have to wait long for the

equaliser that their good play deserved when after ten minutes a Shane Malone free kick delivery

from the left flank into the visitors area was met perfectly on the volley by Ross Ward to find the

corner of the net.  The home team went on to dominate possession and chances for the remainder of

the first half.

Next up for Caragh was Adam Fleming after fifteen minutes, when he was switched on to get on to

the end of a quick free by Ross Ward, to finish emphatically from close range.  Caragh noses now in

front for the first time, a lead they wouldn't give up.  Caragh grew in confidence as the half progressed

and played some smashing football in the trying heavy conditions.  Jamie Cullen then made it 3-1 to

Caragh after twenty five minutes when he chased what looked like a lost cause and he managed to

pick up on a slip from the Clongorey keeper and finish to an empty net.    

Both the home team full backs, Dylan Free and Niall Cramer, were causing the visitors all sorts of

problems with their up field forays.  After thirty five minutes Dylan Free scored the goal of the game

when he spotted the Clongorey keeper off his line and smacked his shot from thirty five yards out on

the wing into the top corner to make it 4-1 to the home side.   Niall Cramer then tried to match Dylan's

effort when he cut in from the left wing and unleashed a shot from twenty five yards that looked

destined for the back of the net but for a super full stretch finger tip save from the keeper to deny

Niall's effort.  But Caragh didn't have to wait long to extend their lead.  From the resulting corner on

the stroke of half time a goalmouth scramble ensued that Clongorey couldn't deal with and the ball

was eventually bundled over the line by Jack O'Neill to make it 5-1 to Caragh at half time.

The second half followed the same pattern as the first albeit without the same volume of goals.  With

both teams now making multiple changes the tempo of the game dropped but Caragh were always in

command.  Daniel Hamill and Shane Malone in the heart of the home teams midfield worked tirelessly

throughout and must have covered every blade of the Donore pitch. On the hour mark Caragh got

their sixth and final goal of the day when Ross treaded a pass through to Luke Martin who took one

touch before finishing in style from just inside the box.  The game petered out after this and became

quite scrappy for the remainder.  Clongorey did get a final consolation goal though when Declan

Adebayo got on the end of a corner to finish from close range to make it 6-2 at the final whistle.

An excellent performance by the home team to finish out their home league campaign in some

style, with everyone playing their part with some really slick football in very tough conditions.

20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page