top of page

Feature game

Hill Mechanical & Electrical Division 2

Caragh Celtic 0 4 Coill Dubh AFC

Coill Dubh’s second string kicked off their 2023 Div 2 campaign with a decisive 4-0 victory over local neighbours Caragh Celtic’s reserves on Saturday afternoon in front of a large crowd at Donore Pk, always a great battle between these two clubs and Saturday was no different. The Dubh’s were dominant in the first half hour however Caragh’s Adam Delmer and Adam Mezza steadied the ship at the back. Coill Dubh’s rock solid defence consisting of Ciaran Bowers, Adrian McNamee, Tim Barrett, and Mark Heffernan made it a very quiet afternoon for keeper Phillip Doyle. The first test of the Caragh keeper came on the ninth minute from a Damien Leeson free kick. Leeson’s effort cleared the wall and was on target but was well covered by Caragh keeper Calvin O Toole. Coill Dubh grew into the game and Leeson’s set-piece deliveries became more of an issue for the Caragh defence. On the twenty seventh minute a in swinging corner delivered by Leeson was met by Nigel Reynolds who guided it agonizingly close past the far post. On the thirty first minute Caragh were presented with their first major chance the nippy Ross Ward made an excellent dribble past three Coill Dubh defenders unleashing a shot just outside of the eighteen yard box but he was unable to get it on target, and it sailed well past the right post.

Coill Dubh then opened the scoring on the thirty third minute after some great passing play on the left side, Damien Leeson’s effort from an impossibly tight angle deceived the Caragh keeper and found its way into the net. The Dubh’s continued to press for more and doubled their advantage on the thirty eight minute. Damien Leeson’s whipped right-hand corner kick flew into the net unaided. The Dubh’s went into half time 0-2 up.

Five minutes into the second half superb build up play found Nigel Reynolds in acres of space on the right wing. Reynolds was able to pick out the onrushing Wesley Heavey, who put the Dubh’s 0-3 up with a deftly executed volley. Leeson’s set pieces would prove to be a continuing problem for Caragh, as on the fifty fifth minute another fine delivery found Wes Heavy who headed it over the bar from ten yards. Coill Dubh got their fourth of the afternoon on the seventieth minute. Wes Heavey’s twenty five yard free kick evaded the wall and slipped through the hands of the Caragh keeper Calvin O Toole.

The Dubh’s will be delighted to start their league campaign with such an emphatic win. The match also saw 15-year-old Owen Anderson make his competitive senior debut; a bright future awaits. There were solid performances from Tim Barrett and Adrian McNamee who marshalled the defence well, while Damien Leeson and Nigel Reynolds were superb in central midfield. Wesley Heavey led the attacking line well, rewarded with two goals and Kian Butler but in a solid shift out on the right-wing. Man of the match was however, awarded to vice-captain Nathan Moore, who was superb as a defensive midfielder. A vital cog in the effort to keep a clean sheet. Best for Caragh were Mezza, Delmer and keeper O Toole.

14 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page