top of page

Feature game - Leinster Leader

Leinster Football Association Junior Plate (Round 2)

Newbridge United FC 3 Doneycarney U21s 4

Newbridge United FC’s Under 20s just fell short of a quarter final spot in the Leinster Football Association Junior plate when they were overcome by a very strong Doneycarney FC Under 21 side on Saturday, coming out the wrong side in a seven goal thriller having found themselves 3-0 down at half time. 

The clash between both sides was a treat for all that showed up on Saturday evening. Malahide opened the scoring after good pressure from their frontman to win the ball and slot it past the united keeper. The visitors further extended their lead soon after when a United defensive back pass to the keeper was intercepted by the visiting striker and he made no mistake from close range to put the Dublin side 2-0 up. 

The home side were stunned to find themselves trailing 3-0 at half time when again they won the ball deep in the United half and played It through unchallenged.  

United faced an uphill battle in the second half to turn the tide. The opened and dug deep to find a way back and they were rewarded for their efforts after ten minutes when a ball played into the box by James Mahony was met by United’s striker Dennis Kave who placed the ball pass the keeper to bring the game to 3-1. The reds unlike the first half started to gain control and get the ball moving and after a run into the box by the prolific Ryan Kearney saw the keeper slide and take the midfielder down for a penalty. Dennis Kave stood up to take the spot kick and drove the ball low and hard towards the corner only for great reactions by the Malahide keeper to get low and touch the ball away. Newbridge were feeling like it just wasn’t their day but they kept plugging away and after a ball played in by Ryan Kearney was met by Dennis Kave to head the ball into the back of the net and bring the game back to life at 3-2 to Malahide with fifteen minutes remaining. 

United could feel a momentum change and after the ball fell to Newbridge’s No.10 outside the box with no hesitation smashed the ball over the keeper and bring the game back level at 3-3 with ten minutes remaining on the clock.  Newbridge were in full control near the end and after a counter from Malahide found their striker turn on the ball and strike it into the far bottom corner to break the heart of the United team and supporters in the last minute of the game. After a very slow start and coming from 3 nil down the whole team deserve a mention for their incredible heart shown.

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page