top of page

Features Games - Leinster Leader

KDFL Under 20 Cup Final.

Newbridge United FC 4 Clane United FC 2

This game had it all. six goals, missed penalty and a red card. The game was played at a high tempo and both teams really going for it and not holding anything back.  Nice slick passing from both sides with both sides carving out chances early on but both keepers up to the test. 

It was Clane who took the lead on the tenth minute with a tidy finish from Scott Britton. Clane were good value for the lead too. 

It only took Newbridge eight minutes to level the tie, when Denis Kave cut in from the left and slotted home in the bottom right of the clane goal leaving Adam Mazur with no Chance. 

Both defences were working hard with attacks from both sides frequent. Fionn Doyle and Eoin Gerathy marshalling Clane well and likewise Cian Quinn and Ben Murphy for Newbridge at the back. Clane regained the advantage on thirty five minutes when a ball played in low across the six yard area, was directed into the Newbridge net by one of their defenders.  Clane again we’re defending well but Newbridge always looked dangerous.  Just before the half time whistle Glen Bracken found space, crossed the ball in to a dangerous area and current KDFL Under 20 player of the year Ryan Kearney headed Newbridge level for the second time to leave it deadlocked at 2-2 going into the break with all to play for. 

The pace of the second half lowered but only slightly and credit to both teams they were still going for the win. On the fifty first minute Newbridge won a corner and a clever ball into the near post, found the head of Cian Quinn who headed Newbridge Into the lead for the first time in the game.  Clane kept pressure on and on sixty two minutes a shot at goal hit the hand of Newbridge defender on the line. The ref pointed to the penalty spot and the Newbridge player was sent off. KDFL Young player of the year James Ralph stepped up to take the penalty and saw his effort go just over the bar. 

This seemed to spur Newbridge on and they mad a few positional changes after going down to ten men and seemed to block up any gaps to frustrate Clane. 

In the seventieth minute Newbridge broke and the man that opened the scoring for Newbridge Denis Kave grabbed his second of the game to give Newbridge a two goal lead heading into the closing stages of the game.  Clane piled forward but couldn’t break the backline of Newbridge who defended brilliantly for remainder of the game.  A great advert for under 20 football with both these sides putting on a great showing for the large crowd.  Best for Clane on the day were Liam Dean, Eoin Gerathy and James Ralph.  Newbridge had great performances in Denis Kave, Glen Bracken and man of the match Ryan Kearney.

KDFL Under 20 Shield Final.

Old Fort Celtic 2 Sallins Celtic FC 0 (AET)

The U20 Shield final brought Old Fort Celtic and Sallins Celtic to Allenwood in what was a highly anticipated game which both sides fancied their chances on winning. The opening exchanges of the game were quite nervy but it was Old Fort Celtic who settled into the game better playing some good football but were limited on any clear cut chances from a steely Sallins defence. Old Forts front trio of Scott Coyle, Ryan Little and Ashby Bermeo were causing problems but the Sallins rear guard dealt with their pacy runs and didn’t give much away. The first real chance of the game fell to Ashby Bermeo whose header from close range drew a great save from the Sallins goalkeeper. Sallins grew into the came and were causing Old Fort problems with some direct balls into the Old Fort box but they were dealt with by centre back pairing of Tommy Dwane and Dan Harty. It was 0-0 at half time. 

The second half started with a much quicker tempo and it was Old Fort who looked most likely to score first with the ever dangerous Ryan Little getting into some great positions but for some brilliant defending from Sallins kept his shooting opportunities to a minimum. Sallins were growing in confidence as the game went on and were a constant threat on set pieces but never managed to threaten Cullen Lamberts goal. The game looked like it turned in Old Forts favour when the Sallins number 6 was sent off for a second yellow card offence but to their credit, Sallins were defensively solid and didn’t give too much away. Old Fort made some changes to their shape having the extra man and it looked to be paying off with the front two of Dan Gorman and Little causing problems. It was Gorman who drew a fantastic save from the Sallins keeper after some tidy link up play in the middle. No more than a few minutes later, it was Gorman again who received the ball on the edge of the box and hit a dipping shot but the Sallins keeper yet again made another great save. Both sides pushed late on to get a winner but it was the defences on both sides that won out. 0-0 FT.

Extra time started and Old Fort started the brightest and took the lead after 3 minutes, a pin point pass in behind the Sallins defence from Eoin McGrath was latched onto by Ryan Little who’s volleyed finish to the bottom left corner from 18 yards. No more than 2 minutes later, a shot from Schilo Lifeta was blocked but it deflected into Gorman’s path who headed home from 7 yards to make it 2-0 to Old Fort. Sallins bravely tried to force themselves back into the game and caused the Old Fort defence problems but Old Fort defended well and kept them at bay. Best on the day for Old Fort were Dan Gorman, Tommy Dwane and Ryan Little but it was their Captain Dan Harty who gets Man of the Match after an outstanding display at centre back. Best for Sallins was their goal keeper, their number 5 and number 9.

20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page