top of page

KDFL Feature Game

FAI Junior Cup Fourth Round

Treble winners Clonmullion F.C. booked their place in the last 32 of the FAI Junior Cup with a narrow victory over Clane United last Friday evening. The home side almost opened the scoring after only three minutes when Kieran Kelly whipped a curling free kick just wide of Michael Lawless's post. The visitors responded almost immediately when Keane Cully hit a long diagonal ball to Jody Dillon but he dragged his effort just wide. With fifteen minutes gone Dillon and the industrious Garry Comerford combined to put Danny Thompson in on goal but keeper John Ball saved at the wingers feet. A minute later Clane went 1 nil up when Kelly and Cathal Geoghegan combined to put Andy Brogan in one on one with Lawless and he made no mistake from six yards out. It only took Clonmullion two minutes to equalise when the impressive Nathan Robinson picked out Corey Moore at the back post and he headed back across goal where Cully powered home from close range. Just before the half hour mark Kelly beat three Clonmullion players and his shot looked destined for the top corner only for Lawless to dive full length to tip the ball around the post. Lawless then denied Geoghegan after he headed a cross from Brogan. Clonmullion were then reduced to ten men when Cully was dismissed and as the back line were being reshuffled they conceded a penalty which Kelly cooly slotted home.

The second half started with a reorganised away team which saw the introduction of Dean Fennessy returning from a long term injury and he was immediately into the action as he put Dillon through on goal but keeper Ball made a great double save and as the ball rebounded to Cody Mulhall he got down to save that effort as well. However he couldn't prevent Dillon from scoring a minute later when Robinson found Thompson out wide and he pulled the ball back for the centre forward to fire home. Clane went close to restoring the lead on the hour mark when Kelly was in on goal but Johnny Fennells last ditch tackle denied him. The next twenty five minutes saw chances for both side. But with only three minutes left a long Comerford throw in was flicked on by Timmy Doyle and Mulhall arrived in the middle of the goals to tap home and snatch victory for Clonmullion. They will now play ex League Of Ireland side Salthill Devon in the last 32 in Micheál O Neill Park on the 22nd of January.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page