top of page


Coill Dubh AFC 1 Clonmullion AFC 1

Clonmullion made the long trip to Cusack Park on Friday evening to face Senior Division newcomers Coill Dubh AFC Both sides cancelled each other out early with most of the play taking place in the middle of the park. The home saide had some early changes through Conor Brady and Sean McMahon.It was in the sixteenth minute that the visitors made the breakthrough when Rickie Moriarty won a great header from a Luke Andersons kick out. It found Nathan Robinson whose flicked header fell perfectly into the path of Lee Doyle who hit a beautiful pass with the outside of his foot to his brother Nathan who clipped the ball past Joe Kenny who brought him down just inside the box. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Robinson stepped up and made no mistake to put the Mull 1-0 up.

Five minutes later the Dubh almost drew level after Ryan Murran hit a lovely cross field pass to Craig Lenihan at the back post who pulled his pass back to Billy McNamme who shot wide. Timmy Doyle took the short kick out from keeper Michael Lawless and picked out Robinson who fed Lee Doyle who made a great run down the flank and crossed to Nathen Doyle who pulled his effort just wide.On the half hour mark Robison turned provider when his corner was flicked on by Timmy Doyle and fellow centre half Shane Foley headed just over. Five minutes before the half time whistle centre half Mark Grace went on a mazy run right through the middle of the visitors defence and was unlucky not to hit the target. Just before the start of the second half the Coill Dubh under 14 team came home with their first piece of silverware after a great 3-0 win in their final. The team made their way into the centre of the field and were applauded by everyone in attendance. It was a very special moment for them. A huge congratulations to the team and coaches.

Coill Dubh started the second half much better and a long ball from the keeper picked out Barry Noone who laid a pass off to McNamee who shot over the bar. On the hour mark left full Sean McMahon came close with a direct curling free kick after substitute Dylan Hannon just outside the box. Lee Foley then won a 50/50 ball in the middle of the park and laid it off to Robinson who picked out substitute Stephen Donovan who headed over from close range. Shortly after Joe Brennan also headed over after great approach play from Ross Cardiff. The visitors then thought they had doubled their lead when Cardiff headed home a Robinson free kick but the referee ruled it offside. From the resulting kick out from Anderson found Hannon who slipped in to Noone who scored from the edge of the box to draw level with fifteen minutes left. Both sides went all out for a winner and Cardiff had a great chance with five minutes left when Lee Doyle hit a volleyed pass to him but keeper Anderson pulled off a great save down low to his left. The home side almost snatched it at the end when Lenehan was through in goal but Shane Foley got back to make a brilliant last ditch tackle.

Best for Coill Dubh Mark Grace, Sean McMahon and some important saves from Luke Anderson.

For Clonmullion were Johnny Fennel who worked tirelessly down the left, Timmy Doyle & Shane Foley at the centre of the defence, Robinson and Lee Doyle in the middle and Nathan Doyle was a huge threat all night until being injured.

Clane United FC 1 Suncroft AFC 2

Suncroft picked up their first points of the new season with a fine away win against Clane Utd on Friday night. The early exchanges saw both defences on top with no clear cut openings for either side, some long range efforts were dealt with comfortably by both 'keepers. The first real opportunity of the game came to the home side when Jack Kelly fired over from close range from a Ciaran Kelly cross . The home side took the lead on in the thirty fifth minute when Jack Kelly made amends for his earlier miss, heading Clane into the lead from a Ciaran Kelly corner looping over visiting keeper Colin Farrell. The away side almost equalized just before half time when a Josh Lee effort from the edge of the area was well saved.

Suncroft started the second half the brightest and were rewarded with the equalising goal in the fifty fifth minute when Dylan Connolly scored a well placed shot from just outside the box for his third goal in as many games. The Suncroft midfield of Kieron Sheedy, Dylan Byrne and Niall Flynn were having a much more productive second half and continued to probe in search of the second goal. It was the combination of a great through ball from Sheedy and an excellent finish from Byrne that gave the away side the lead with sixty five minutes played. Croft Youngster Niall Costigan was proving a major threat on the left wing having replaced Patrick Coady early in the half and it was his excellent piece of play that presented Dylan Connolly with a great chance to kill the game on seventieth minute but his close range shot was fired straight at the Clane 'keeper. Another substitute, Gary Lowe, was also impressive having come on in the sixty eight minute then came very close to his team's third when he fashioned an opening for himself on the right edge of the box and his sweetly struck left footed effort crashed off the bar.

The home side threw caution to the wind in the closing stages trying to get a late equaliser and pumped balls and bodies into the Suncroft box at every opportunity. Suncroft's back four of Stevie Coyne, Gary Scully, Ryan Farrell and Craig Durney held out to get a good win for the away side.

The croft had strong performances from Connolly up front, Coyne at right full, a very strong midfield showing in the second half and man of the match Ryan Farrel at center half. Best for Clane were Jack Kelly and Killian Patchell.

Ballycane Celtic 0 Athy Town AFC 3

Newly promoted Athy Town AFC topped the KDFL Senior Division on Sunday following their victory over Ballycane Celtic on Sunday. After no rain for nearly a month, the rain gods decided to let it all come on a horrendous Sunday morning in Ballycane.

Athy playing with the hill and the slight breeze found a resolute Ballycane back four hard to break down, Athy did have the ball in the net after twenty five minutes when Stephen French tapped in after a shot was blocked in the area, he was correctly adjudged to be offside by Eric McCann, five minutes later, Chris Chanders had a header cleared off the line, the town continued to do the majority of the attacking and were unlucky not to score on the fortieth minute when Stephen May hit a low drive which beat the keeper only to hit the inside of the post and back safely into Kevin McDonnell’s hands in the home goal. The cane were having some joy up both wings with Niall Herbert and Callum O Reilly causing real problems for the Athy defence. Leon Doyle drove at the Athy defence and unleashed a brilliant shot which seemed destined for the top corner only for the athy keeper to pull off a fine save.

Athy turned up the heat from the second half kick-off with goals by Chris Chanders, Eoghon Molloy and Mark Boland in quick succession, the deadlock was broken in the forty seventh minute when excellent work by the veteran Brendan Curtis saw Chanders nod home Curtis's Cross at the back post to put the reds one up, Molloy added the second after a one two with Chanders saw Molloy break the offside trap to shoot powerfully through the keeper's legs to make it two, Mark Boland put the game to bed when he deftly headed an excellent Adam O'Keefe free kick in to the net on 55 minutes, the game petered out as a contest after the third.

Best for Athy were, Mark Boland, Stephen May, Adam O'Keefe and a special mention for 17yr Oisín Brown who made his senior team debut today, one for the future.

Best for Ballycane were Leon Doyle in defence in the middle and man of the match Callum O Reilly.

Kildare Town AFC 2 Kilcock Celtic FC 2

No Report.

25 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page