top of page


Clonmullion FC 1 Coill Dubh AFC 1

Coill Dubh demonstrated commendable resilience to secure a well-deserved point against the formidable reigning champions Clonmullion FC. Both teams showcased their determination despite the challenging weather conditions in Kilcullen, following the aftermath of Storm Kathleen the previous day.

Clonmullion started well playing against the wind and went close to scoring after only three minutes when a well rehearsed corner routine saw Nathan Robinson pick out Mark Hughes who had found space at the front post but flicked his effort just wide. On twenty minutes Clonmullion’s domination was rewarded when Lee Day put a lovely ball through to Nicky Leonard and as he flicked the ball past the advancing keeper, Anderson took him down and the referee pointed to the spot. Hughes stepped up but hit the inside of the post and as the ball rebounded the keeper smothered it. 

Ten minutes later Day played a great ball into Cody Mulhall whose brilliant hold up play allowed him to roll the ball into the path of Lee Doyle who crossed first time to the back post where Leonard was waiting but he headed wide from close range. Five minutes later The Mull were awarded another penalty when Robinson put winger Doyle in on goal but the recovering centre half tripped him as he was about to shoot. Mulhall stepped up this time and made no mistake from the penalty spot. Benny Lawlor was next to create an opening but Anderson dived at the feet of Chris Chanders to avert the danger. Despite the conditions, the Dubh's were able to craft some positive passing play. Ryan Murran was presented with three glorious chances, but was unable to convert on this occasion. With just a minute remaining in the first half the sides were level when Timmy Doyle played the ball back towards his goal without checking but keeper Will Kenny had advanced to the edge of the box and the ball rolled into the back of the net. 

The second half started in the same way as first half with Clonmullion on the front foot and Lee Doyle won the ball back straight from the kick off and the ball fell to Chanders who hit a great effort from long range but Anderson tipped it over the bar. On the hour mark Chanders won a header in the middle of the park and nodded down to Robinson who played Mulhall through but Anderson advanced quickly off his line and despite diving the wrong way made the save with his feet. With ten minutes remaining Robinson struck a great dipping free kick that the keeper could only parry and Mulhall was first to react and slammed the ball home but the referee adjudged him to be offside. Clonmullion laid siege to the Coill Dubh goal but some last gasp defending by Joe Bowers and outstanding goalkeeping from Anderson saw the game end 1 all. Best for Clonmullion were Hughes, Lawlor, Day, Chanders, Robinson and Mulhall. While every player contributed significantly to Coill Dubh's performance, notable mentions go to Joe Bowers for his commanding presence at center-half, Aaron Lenehan for his industrious display in midfield alongside Ryan Murran and Dan Smal, and Jason Devine, who unfortunately had to be substituted due to injury. However, the standout performer of the match was new signing Eoin O'Reilly, who delivered a superb defensive performance on his debut at center-half, earning him the Man of the Match accolade.

Naas United FC 2 Old Fort Celtic FC 1

Newly promoted Old Fort Celtic kicked of their very first Senior League campaign on Sunday morning in Doctor’s road Clane when they travelled to take on current Lumsden League Cup champions Naas United FC. The Portlaoise side were unlucky to go down by the odd goal in three.  Naas Started at a a pace And as the more experienced senior Side was to be expected But Old Fort held firm and kept them at bay for the first fifteen minutes. The home side eventually took the lead through Niall O Flaherty following good work by Stephen French. Not long after Old Fort found themselves with a lot of space down the left with link up between Dan Adeoye and Daryl Ntumba, Daryl beat his marker and got a shot off but was Just off target. Soon after link up play from Ogie Brown and Byron on the right side created space for Ntumba who beat his man and squared the ball off to Eoin McGrath who struck it well but it was blocked into Ntumbas path as he Slotted home Calmly to make it 1-1

The second half was a lot more open with both sides creating a lot of space It wasn't until the 80th Minute that The next goal was scored, Old Fort gave away a free kick on the edge of the box and Stephen French stepped up to curl a beautiful ball to the top corner giving Naas the advantage which they held to the end. Best for the winners were Keith Higgins, Marvin Matens, Wayne Long and man of the match Sheldon Matens. 

Rathangan AFC 1 Clane United FC 5

The first round of the KDFL Senior Division saw Rathangan take on Clane in Canal Road. The home side were unlucky not to find target twice in the first five minutes when Lee Moore couldn't find target. The condition was extremely difficult with the home side playing against a very strong wind in the first half. It was in the fifteen minutes in when Clane took advantage with a well taken goal from Sean Connolly and they double their lead through the same player ten minutes later.  again in the thirty fifth minute through Dean Comiskey and just on the stroke of half time to make it 4-0. Rathangan battled hard and just before the 90th minute were rewarded a free Tone Byrne was fouled. Tone Byrne nicely struck the ball low to the left corner. As it finished in Rathangan 5-1 to Clane, Clane getting their final goal through Aidan Ralph.  Best for Rathangan Ciaran Behan, Keith Scanlon and Tommy Power while best for the winners were two goal hero Sean Connolly and Aidan Ralph. 

26 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page