top of page


Athy Town AFC 4 Kildare Town AFC 1

The town were quickly out of the blocks in this Senior League tie played on Friday evening in

Aldridge Park. They took an early two goal lead through David Bríde and Chris Chanders after fifteen

minutes. The home would be forgiven for thinking this was going to be an easy tie however the

visitors didn’t read the script and were relentless in their attack and dominated much of the first

half. The visitors pulled a goal back six minutes from the break and it was no more than they


It would appear Athy Manager Paul Kelly had harsh words in the dressing room with his charges as

they came out a different outfit in the second half. They kicked it up a gear and went 3-1 up midway

through the half through a Chris Chanders second from the spot. The home side made it 4-1 soon

after with the goal of the game from Aaron Meade which was a build up from the back starting with

keeper Conor Germaine and ended with Meade firing past the visiting keeper. Best for the winners

were Aaron Meade, Chris Chanders, Oisin Brown and Stephen Ffrench.

Clane United FC 4 Kilcock Celtic FC 2

Clane United claimed their second win of the season on Friday night when they overcame Senior

newbies Kilcock Celtic on a scoreline of 4-2. The home side started onf ire and were 3-0 up within six

minutes. Mark Kelly opened the scoring from the tip off following good work from Karl James.

Eoghan Maguire added their second two minutes later from an Andy Brogan cross. It was 3-0 to the

home side courtesy of Sean Connolly. Both teams had a few chances but it remained three nil at half

time . 

To Kilcock s credit they kept fighting and got their rewards on the hour mark pulling a goal back to

make it 4-1.  With twenty minutes remaining Kilcock reduced the deficit to two goal when they got

their second. Clane after a fright were sprung into life with the introduction of Killian Patchell and

Dean  Comiskey.  The Kilcock keeper made two fine saves to keep out a Maguire effort. The home

side wrapped up the points on the eightieth min when Andy Brogan made no mistake after being

put through by Stephen Leavy .  Best for Clane on the night were Eoghan Maguire and Andy Brogan

Rathangan AFC 3 Ballycane Celtic FC 1

On what was a beautiful morning in canal Road Ballycane came to this game missing a number of

key players. The home side started the strongest with plenty of possession but no real threat to

keggy in the canes goal. Ballycane weathered the storm and started to get their rhythm going.

Callum o Reilly tormenting the right full who whipped in a beautiful ball but hazard couldn't find the

net. The next chance also fell to Hazard who was through on goal with only the keeper to beat but

he somehow pulled off a great save. Rathangan took the initiative then and had early chances

through Sam O’Loughlin and Tone Byrne. Just on the half hour mark the visiotrs took the lead

through Alex Conlan with a great ball through from Arun Doyle. They quickly added a second goal

through Dillon Broderick who made a great run from Right back.

Ballycane knew they were creating chances and knew they would and should have had one

themselves. On 43 mins some good work from Prince will down the right who linked up with the

brilliant Callum o Reilly who in turn whipped in a great cross for Deano Preston to knock home at the

second attempt to put the minimum between the sides going int the break.

The second half started with the visitors coming out really strongly and trying to get the equaliser.

Jake o Reilly and Hazard again going close. The away side pushed and pushed but were getting no joy

out of a strong Rathangan rear guard with Stefan Lawler and Jim Brennan being solid at the back.

Ballycane were unlucky to lose Craig Byrne following his second yellow. The cane pushed and pushed

and it was again Hazard who had the best chance when he got through the Rathangan defence and

shot from an acute angle but could only find the side netting. Rathangan maintained high spells of

possession but Ballycane worked tirelessly to get an equaliser and looked dangerous on the counter

attack, Creating some decent chances.

With five minutes to go Rathangan put the game to bed when Sam O’Loughlin found Jason Dempsey

in the Ballycane Penalty area and he finished excellently to make it 3-1. Best for the winners was

Dillon Broderick. A frustrating day for Ballycane who on another day would have got something from

this game. Best for the cane were Higgins and Josh Brennan in defence. The tireless Preston in the

middle and (the fox) Hazard up top but man of the match for the away side was the impressive

Callum o Reilly.

Suncroft AFC 2 Naas United FC 2

An entertaining game played in perfect conditions at the community grounds in Suncroft ended with

a share of the spoils, seeing the new look Suncroft side pick up their first point at home of the

season. The 'Croft will feel slightly aggrieved at the result having led 2 nil at the break but they came

up against a battle-hardened and experienced Naas Utd side who proved themselves worthy of the

draw in the end. 

Suncroft started the game the brightest, with the midfield trio of Kieron Sheedy, Bryon Reid and

Craig Durney setting the tempo with some tidy passing exchanges. After some half chances that

came to nothing, the home side took the lead with their first real opening. Gary Lowe's excellent

pass from the right hand side was controlled and expertly finished by Niall Flynn with 25 mins

played. By this stage Flynn's movement and ball control was posing a serious threat to the Naas Utd

defence with the 'Croft looking likely to score whenever he was involved. Naas had chances of their

own through Adam Colton having a shot blocked before moments later a Paul Ometeso header was

tipped over the bar. Suncroft's next big chance fell to Dylan Connolly, with Flynn holding the ball up

nicely and bringing Gary Lowe into play, Lowe's inch perfect cross found the on-rushing Connolly but

his headed effort flew just past the post. In a rare first half attack for Naas, Dean Bowers managed to

wriggle free in the box from a right wing cross and get a shot off from ten yards out but 'Croft keeper

Colin Farrell saved his side with an excellent reaction save. 

The home side took a deserved two goal lead in the thirty eight minute when Niall Flynn tee'd up the

impressive Craig Durney whose twenty yard strike caught the Naas 'keeper off guard nestling in the

bottom corner of the net. The remaining chances of the half saw Connolly flash a direct free-kick just

past the post and Ryan Farrell twice coming close from corners, with a well struck volley missing the

target and just failing to get enough purchase on a headed effort.

Naas Utd brought on experienced player-manager Stephen Burke at half-time to partner his fellow

experienced campaigner JP Higgins at the centre of the Naas defence. Despite the Naas reshuffle it

was still the 'Croft who looked the more dangerous in the early stages of the second half.

Unfortunately for the home side, they failed to turn their dominance of possession into real goal-

scoring opportunities and the away side gradually worked their way into the game. Chasing the

game allowed Naas to commit more men forward and play a more direct game. Centre halves Liam

Knight, making his first senior league start, and Ryan Farrell were both excellent in dealing with the

pressure being applied by Naas. The manner of the first Naas goal was very unfortunate for Farrell,

having been a rock in the heart of the 'Croft defence throughout, his under hit back pass was

pounced upon by Dean Bowers who lifted the ball over the keeper to give Naas a lifeline with

seventy mins played. Naas grabbed themselves an equaliser with ten mins on the clock, Stephen

Burke hitting the net when his free-kick took an awkward bounce and caught out 'Croft keeper Colin

Farrell. Both sides pushed in the last 10 mins to try and find that winning goal, with Suncroft coming

closest when Dylan Connolly only just failed to connect to an excellent cross from Josh Lee. 

Best for the home side were Niall Flynn, Liam Knight, Ryan Farrell and Kieron Sheedy. Best for Naas

on a less than perfect day were John Paul Higgins, Jamie Dunne, a hard working display in midfield

from Nolan Ometeso and Coltan, While Dean Bowers took his goal well. But a special mention must

go to player manager Stephen Burke for his Roy of the Rovers equalizer in the dying seconds.

Kilcullen AFC 2 Coill Dubh AFC 2

Kilcullen welcomed an up and coming Coill Dubh side to The Avondale on a glorious sunny morning.

Coill Dubh had an early chance to take the lead directly from a corner but Keith Scanlon reacted

quickest to prevent the ball crossing the line.

Both sides were finding it difficult to impose themselves on the game, and it was only when either

side managed to get the ball wide that it looked like goals might be created.

A tidy passage of play after twenty minutes involving Mark McGinley, Dylan Aulsberry and Nathan

O’Reilly resulted in a headed effort by Jason Keogh which was well saved by the Coill Dubh


Aulsberry then created a chance for Alan Dignam with a clever flick but his effort had just too much

on it and sailed over the bar.

On 40 minutes Coill Dubh got the breakthrough. The Kilcullen defence were slow to deal with a ball

in the box and it was fed out wide right to the visitors Barry Noone who whipped a lovely cross onto

Conor Brady arriving late at the back post and he made no mistake with his header 0-1

Kilcullen were more on the front foot from this point but couldn’t find a clear sight of goal for the

remainder of the half.

Five minutes into the second half Kilcullen levelled it. A beautifully flighted Eamon Doyle free kick

evaded everyone except Colin Scanlon who having managed to keep himself onside finished well

with a crisp half volley 1-1

Kilcullen were on top now and could have taken the lead on the hour mark but a Dignam header

from another Doyle set piece just finished the wrong side of the crossbar.

From the next play Kilcullen took the lead. Substitute Luke Kerins went on a mazy dribble in the box

and just when it looked like he had nowhere to go he flicked a pass to Dignam who was taken down

with a clumsy challenge for a penalty.

Eamon Doyle stepped up and after seeing his initial effort well stopped, had the presence of mind to

volley home the rebound 2-1 Kilcullen.

Coill Dubh pushed hard for an equaliser and the switch of Seanie McMahon from left full to midfield

had the desired effect on the 75 minute mark. A dangerous cross from the number Barry Noone

evaded everyone in the centre and fell to McMahon at the back post who duly tucked it away. 2-2

Both sides had chances to win it with an Oisin Sherlock header for Kilcullen with a minute to go just

sneaking past the post with the keeper beaten.

Best for Kilcullen were Mark McGinley,Nathan O’Reilly and Colin Scanlon while best for Coill Dubh

were Trevor McDonald, Ryan Murran and Conor Brady.

18 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page