top of page


Clongorey FC 1 Newbridge Hotspurs FC 0

A game of two halves at Old Bog Road Newbridge Hotspurs were looking to build on their away draw to Rathangan last week. Today’s game was very much a game of two halves with Hotspurs very much dominating the first half proceedings but unable to capitalise on the dominance. The first of Hotspurs six chances occurred on the seventh minute when a Greg Kelly corner struck the post, a scramble ensued in the penalty area and the Clongorey defence managed to eventually clear the ball. On twelve minutes, Anthony Durney intercepted in midfield, a quick one two with Mikey Murphy led to Durney passing to Greg Kelly, Greg Kelly took a step to the side and took a shot at goal which went just over the bar. Close to the half hour mark Scott O’Donoghue went close when his shot was well saved by the Clongorey keeper. Hotspurs dominance continued and a minute later, Mikey Murphy shot just wide after good link up play with Mark Woulfe. On the thirty third minute, Mark Woulfe shot wide of the goal after a good individual run against the Clongorey defence. The final chance of the half came on thirty eight minutes when a Mikey Murphy shot from twenty yards was well saved by the Clongorey keeper. The game went in at half time with both teams drawing a blank. The first five minutes of the second half started much the same way as the first half with Hotspurs dominating but unable to create a chance against the stubborn Clongorey defence. Hotspurs failure to capitalise on their dominance led to greater belief by the Clongorey team that they could get something from this game. As the half went on, Clongorey grew in confidence and they started to win the individual battles and ensure greater control of midfield. That said, not many chances were created by either team. The crucial moment came on the sixty fourth minute when a Clongorey counter attack on the right side of the pitch found their striker who slotted home from a tight angle to make it 1-0. Following this, some changes were made by Hotspurs with Mikey Rooney entering the fray. The game at this point was very much a midfield battle with chances from both teams few and far between. The last fifteen minutes did see Hotspurs attempt to get the equaliser. Mark Woulfe went close with a shot just over the bar and Mikey Rooney had a cross zipped across the goal but Scott O’Donoghue was unable to get on the end of it. In the final moments, Hotspurs had a couple of corners with penalty claim turned down by the referee. The last chance fell to Anthony Durney who had his shot well saved on the line from the Clongorey keeper. The game finished 1-0 to Clongorey. Best of Newbridge Hotspurs on the day were Sean Higgins, Robbie Higgins, Barry Doyle and Hotspurs man of the match Anthony Durney.

Clonmullion FC 6 Ballycane Celtic FC 0

This was a very one sided affair which saw the home side hit three in each half. Indeed they almost went one up after two minutes when Johnny Fennell combined with Garry Comerford who in turn slid a great ball through to Nicky Leonard who's first time effort was well saved by Shane Herbert, but he could only parry into the path of Nathan Robinson who fired wide. Five minutes later Jody Dillon combined with Benny Lawlor to set up Fennell who shot straight at Herbert whose save fell to Dean Fennessy who dragged his effort wide. The home side continued to pepper the Ballycane goals and Fennessy put Jay Connell in on goal but Herbert was again equal to it. Eventually in the fifteenth minute Fennell put his side one up after Herbert could only parry a Mark Hughes free kick and the Clonmullion full back was first to react. Another set piece saw Comerford play a short free kick to Robinson who teed up Fennessy who shot straight at the keeper. The visitors had their first effort at goal on the half hour mark when Dean Preston passed to Darren Larkin but stand in keeper Timmy Doyle gathered easily. Hughes was spraying passes from the back and one such pass picked out Dillon whose first touch took the ball away from the centre half and he slid the ball to the back of the net. With five minutes left in the first half Comerford picked up the ball on the edge of his own area and ran the length of the pitch before sliding Lawlor through but he blazed over from ten yards out. Lawlor turned provider with two minutes remaining in the first half when he got on the end of another impressive Hughes pass and beat the full back Craig Byrne and squared for Dillon for the easiest of tap ins to make it 3 nil.

The second half continued in the same manner with Ballycane mounting sporadic attacks. One which led to a free kick from twenty yards out but Niall Herbert fired over. It was four nil on the hour mark after Lawlor rose highest to nod home a Comerford corner. Clonmullion introduced Lee Doyle and Lee Day and it was the latter who made it five nil after beautifully controlling a Robinson pass on the edge of the area and side footing to be net. Fellow sub Doyle made it 6 nil after he ran on to a great through ball from Lee Foley and he cut in beautifully from the end line before finishing from an acute angle to round off the scoring. Best for Clonmullion were Hughes and Cully at the back Comerford and Leonard in midfield and Dillon and Fennessy up top. Keeper, Shane Herbert for the visitors couldn't be blamed for any of the goals while Dean Preston, Darren Larkin and Calum O Reilly were best for the visitors.

38 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page