top of page



Moate Celtic (CCFL) 0 5 Clane United FC

Clane United FC progress to round 2 of the FAI Junior Cup following their convincing 5-0 victory over Moate Celtic (CCFL) on Friday evening last. The visitors started well James Ralph was unlucky to see his long range effort just over the bar following good approach work from Rashi Nsimba. Five minutes later the home side missed a glorious opportunity to open the scoring when they hit the cross bar from a free kick.

On twelve minutes the home keeper did well to keep out Eoghan Maguire’s effort after he had been put through by Stephen Leavy. Clane were on the ascendancy now and three minutes later James Ralph has a shot saved by the home keeper following good work from Dean Comiskey. Clane had another opportunity to take the lead on the twenty seventh minute Jack Kelly latched onto a Stephen Leavy free kick but the home keeper again did well to save from close range.

Ten minutes before the break Rashi Nsimba shot just over when the Moate keepr could only parry another Leavy free kick.

Clane eventually and deservedly got on the scoresheet before the break when on thirty nine minutes through Stephen Leavy following good work from Maguire on the wing, to see the visitors go in 1-0 up at the break.

Clane started the second half well and one minute in James Ralph found Stephen Leavy who headed just wide. Eight minutes later James Ralph did well on the right-hand side and laid the ball across the goal mouth for Rasdi Nsimba to tap in to double the visitors advantage. Clane were well on top now and on sixty seven minutes a Stephen Dunne cross found James Ralph but his shot hit the post. Clane made it 3-0 after two minutes later when Eoghan Maguire played a one-two with Sean Harnett and shot low into the left hand corner to leave the home side trailing 3-0. On seventy one minutes James Ralph found Eoghan Maguire after good work on the right-hand side but Eoghan’s shot was saved well by the Moate keeper. A stephen Leavy corner on seventy two minutes was headed against the post by Gavin O Dwyer and three minutes later Eoghan Maguire put Rasdi Nsimba through but again the Moate keeper spread himself well to deny clane. With fifteen minutes remaining Clane went 4-0 up when Eoghan Maguire passed to James Ralph who shot from twenty five yards out into the top corner.

On 81 minutes Jack Kelly headed in from a Stephen Leavy corner to make it 5-0.

Best for clane were Stephen Leavy, Dean Comiskey, James Ralph, Eoghan Maguire and Sean Connolly.

Coill Dubh AFC 3 2 Mountmellick United FC (CCFL)

Shamrock Celtic FC (CCFL) 3 0 Clongorey United FC.

Missed opportunities were the order of the day for a tiring Clongorey side. Also some slip ups at crucial times cost clongorey the game. Best on the day were Corneille, Shaun Walsh, Sean Carter and Reece McLoughlin.


Naas United FC 1 4 Suncroft AFC

Suncroft closed out their league campaign with a comeback home win against Naas Utd on Sunday morning. With the conditions making it very difficult to play football it was the Naas side who had the better of the opening half going 1-0 up on the half hour mark through Daragh Faherty and only for some outstanding saves from 'Croft stand in goalkeeper John Doran the home side would have found themselves behind by more at the break.

As the rain eased up Suncroft were in the unusual position of being able to bring some fresh legs on. Ben Kinsella and Gary Whelan both entered the fray with fifty five minutes on the clock and had an immediate impact with Kinsella getting free on the right wing and his low cross finding Josh Lee at the back post to fire in the equalising goal. Five minutes later Kinsella was on the scoresheet himself, Dylan Connolly finding him with a through ball Kinsella put the 'Croft head with a composed finish. Keith Higgins in the Naas goals saved his side from falling further behind with two excellent saves in the space of two minutes, the first from Whelan and the second from Connolly. Sixteen year old Eoin McGee who had just come on for his first senior league appearance set up the third goal when his perfectly weighted pass found fellow substitute Sam Murphy and Murphy fired in low from the edge of the area. Dylan Connolly would complete the scoring in the eightieth minute after some great work from Willy Hayes in the build up.

A strong second half showing from Suncroft who had top performers in Willy Hayes, Ben Kinsella, Dylan Connolly and a man of the match performance from teenage centre half Dylan O'Reilly on his first senior league start while shockingly still a month short of his 16th birthday

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page