top of page

KDFL Senior Division Team focus

AI Junior Cup Round 2 action.

Monksland United FC 3 – Arlington FC 3

(Arlington win 5-4 on penalties AET)

From the off Arlington started well with a goal in the second minute from a Shane Nealon ball down to Ceilum Maher who slipped it to Robbie Mc Neill who finished into the bottom right. Arlington went close again after 20 minutes with Nicholls who picked up the ball on the left and picked out Maher whose shot flew just over the bar from 25 yards. Arlington keeper Grattan got his first serious taste of action just before the half hour mark but saved comfortably from distance.

Arlington doubled their advantage in the fifty seventh minute after brilliant play between Gorman and Maher allowed Nealon to finish calmly in the bottom left corner. Five minutes later Arlington went into dream land when Nealon put them 3 - 0 up after great work from Maher. To their credit Monksland never gave up and pulled a goal back from a corner after the seventy sixth minute. The goal spurred Monksland on and they pulled another one from the penalty spot, with five minutes left, Monksland leveled in injury time with a bullet header at the back post. It was no surprise that the twenty minutes extra time failed to come up with a winner after a crazy second half. And so to penalties it went.

Maher, Collins and Conlon dispatched their penalties before Monksland missed their third, advantage Arlington. Nealon and McNeill calmly slotted their spot kicks away to give Arlington a deserved victory and a spot in the next round. Credit to Monksland for their never say die attitude to come back from the dead. Well done to Arlington who haven't played competitively in five weeks and who were also missing a number of players this weekend. Manager James O'Driscoll couldn't have wished for a better Birthday Present.

Mullingar Town 1 – Clane United FC 2

Senior Cup finalists Clane United were also successful in their round 2 game coming out on top against Mullingar Town by the odd goal in three. The first half was a very quiet affair with neither side creating many chances James Ralph hit a shot wide after thirty minutes however it was nil all at half time. The KDFL side started the second half well but chances were at a premium. Mullingar took the lead after seventy five minutes a shot low into the corner from a Clane clearance after a corner. Clane quickly replied through a Noel Haverty header from a Sean Harnett free kick after eighty minute. Clane were awarded a penalty on eighty second minutes after Aiden Ralph was taken down in the box but James Ralph hit the upright with the penalty. With four minutes of normal time remaining Sean Connolly scored from a Liam Deane corner to claim victory for the north Kildare side. Best for Clane were Cathal Geoghegan, Aiden Ralph and Sean Connolly

St Peters FC 4 – Naas United FC 2

KDFL Lumsden League Cup finalists Naas United went down 4-2 to CCFL Highflyers St Peters FC from the combined Counties Football League. Goals from Niall Scullion (2) Jodie Carr and Luke Kelly of Peters was enough to see out the game and progress to round 3. Stephen French and Jamie Dunne were on target for the KDFL side.

St Carthages FC 2 – Coill Dubh AFC 0

Coill Dubh AFC also exited the FAI Junior Cup at the round 2 stage when a depleted side travelled to Offaly to take on CCFL side and came away on the wrong side of a 2-0 scoreline.

Ballinahown United FC 1 – Clonmullion FC 0 (AET)

Senior highflyers Clonmullion exited the FAI Junior cup when they went down 1-0 AET to Ballinhown United of the CCFL.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page