top of page

Leinster Leader Feature Game

Ace Sports Awards Masters Shield Semi Final

Kilcock Celtic FC 0 Liffeybank FC 2

Over 35 Div 2 Champions elect Liffeybank FC booked their place in the Final of the Ace Sports Awards Masters Shield on Saturday when they overcame near neighbours Kilcock Celtic FC on a scoreline of 2-0 at Bawnogues.

Liffeybank started the game at a frantic pace and were rewarded after only two minutes when a well worked move from Leon Farrelly who put Michael French through on goal and he made no mistake firing past home custodian Derek Devoy to put the visitors 1-0 up. Kilcock came right back into the game and it was a fairly end to end game for both teams with Brian Kiely and Richie Neville creating some good chances for the home side. Liffeybank worked their way back into the game just before half time with some tidy football in midfield from Darren Sargent and Mark Raleigh. Kilcock had a chance right at the stroke of half time only for good goalkeeping by Richie Conroy in the visiting goal.

The second half again started at a frantic pace and Liffeybank again scored after just two minutes to make it 2-0. Leon Farrelly again involved with some good passing combinations with Darren Sargent, who threaded through Steven Byrne, taking the ball around kilcock keeper Devoy and finished tidily.

The game played out end to end and kilcock kept going at Liffeybank until the end with good approach play by Patrick Izbinsi and Leon Berci but to no avail as Liffeybank shut up shop and defended their 2-0 advantage expertly. Best on the day for winners Liffeybank ware Alan White, Steven Byrne and Darren Sargent and goalkeeper Richie Conroy keeping a clean sheet. While for Kilcock Brian Kiely, Richie Neville, Patrick Izbinsi and Leon Berci impressed.

So Fresh Entertainment womens Cup Final

(By Jamie Connolly)

Sallins Celtic FC 3 Monasterevin AFC 1

This repeat of last season’s Cup Final had all the makings of a cracking game and it didn’t disappoint. From the off these two teams went for it. The Opening ten minutes were highly contested and nice passing from both sides.

In the fifth minute a ball played into the feet of the sallins number ten Lea Reilly was superbly controlled and neatly slotted under the body of the on rushing Alice Breen in the Monasterevin goal to put the eventual winners 1-0 up. Monasterevin didn’t let this deter them from getting to grips with the game and five minutes later a nice ball played in by Louise Scully found Brianne Kaye on the end of it and she was fouled in the box by an under pressure Sallins defender. Monasterevin defender and captain Bernie Hyland stepped up and blasted by Sallins keeper Bianca Cossenzo to level the scores, game on.

Things settled a little after this with both sides playing slick football but both defences holding firm.

The back four of Monasterevin of Eleanor Scully, Bernie Hyland, Annemarie Graham and Máirín Kirby were thwarting any attacks laid on by the leaders. Midfield quartet of Brianne Kaye, Jenny Conroy, Julia Broughan and Abby Kemmy were hassling and winning balls to set up attacks for Monasterevin.

Holly Ures and Louise Scully up front causing problems and not giving the Sallins back line any time on the ball. No real major chances of note in the first half after the crazy ten minute opening except Monasterevin hitting the bar from a free kick late in half.

Second half was slow to get going but both teams trying to gain the upper hand and neither team wavering. It took a lapse in concentration from Monasterevin to allow the Sallins’ Sofia Di Stefano in to chip Alice Breen to put them 2-1 up following some good approach work by Sallins captain Lucy Plummer. Sallins were on a high soon after when a brilliant in swinging corner from Lia Reilly saw Sophie Lawlor get a flick on it and the ball was deflected in to the net to put them 3-1 ahead.

Monasteries introduced fresh legs of Rebecca Broughan, Chloe Farrell, Sinéad McBride, Melissa Scully and Shauna Preston and the girls all put a shift in trying to get back into the game.

Monasterevin came close twice on the closing stages with Louise Scully hitting the post and the sallins keeper throwing herself on top of a loose ball to stop Monasterevin from getting back into the game. Sallins saw the game out to capture the cup for the second year in a row.

Two great teams battling it out and was a great advertisement for women’s football in Kildare.

Best for the winners were player of the match Bianca Cossenzo in goal who denied Monasterevin in the latter stages of the game with some heroic saves, 16 year old Aoife Hand, Sophie Lawlor, Sofia DiStefano, Lia Reilly and the two centre backs Lucy Plummer and Katie O Connor.

KDFL Lumsden League Cup Semi Final

(By Wayne Bubba Doyle)

Moone Celtic FC 0 Naas United FC 3

Clane duly obliged to host this side of the Lumsden Cup Semi-finals on a Sunny Sunday afternoon. With Moone Celtic and Naas Utd contesting for a coveted place in the Final.

Naas very business like from the opening kick-off, after a straight long ball by Keith Higgins gave Stephen French a chance to stretch his legs, his pace took him past the Moone rearguard, but he just dragged his shot wide in the opening minute. Darragh Flaherty was next to threaten for Naas as he produced a mazy run skipping by three Moone players before Cormac Burke made the vital tackle to quell the danger. Chris Heaslip looked particularly dangerous for Moone out wide when he got down the right flank and whipped in a quality cross that Jamie Dunne at full stretch cleared over his own crossbar to avert the threat. Moone steadily finding their feet and that man Heaslip again the provider with another inviting set-piece was headed just wide by Callum Kelly.

Samuel Omoteso picked up the ball on the left wing and carved a path through the middle bearing down on goal as he was about to pull the trigger on his effort ,Aaron Dunne flew across with perfectly timed challenge. Naas Utd broke the deadlock with twenty minutes played after Flaherty picked up ball on the left wing he weaved his way through a host of Moone players and delivered a pinpoint cross, Stephen French rose highest and powered in a bullet head header from twelve yards to give Naas the lead. Naas doubled their advantage moments later when Jamie Dunne pass was intercepted by Aaron Kennedy the ball ricocheted into the air and Stephen French hit a phenomenal dipping volley on the bounce first time from thirty yards that whizzed past Daire Phelan in the Moone goals to make it 2-0.

Moone to their credit responded brilliantly with a sublime passage of play through the middle that involved Liam Woran who a laid a ball to Paddy Derring ,Derring turned and split the Naas Rearguard with perfectly weighted pass to Callum Kelly who has his effort well saved by Keith Higgins a glorious chance to edge themselves back into the game. Keith Higgins distribution from his box was excellent and Moone were struggling to deal with them long balls. Stephen French had his opportunity to bag the Hattrick after he created a excellent chance for himself, with a clever flick over Dunnes head he raced in on goal and tried a cheeky lob that Daire Phelan smothered well in the Moone goal to keep it 2-0 at the half.

Moone came out the second half full of Vigor and real intensity and had Naas pinned back in the opening exchanges of the second half, with Callum Kelly, and Aaron Kennedy both having efforts from long range. That left Moone susceptible to the counterattack and Naas nearly added a third with substitute Ross Callaghan got down the left wing and squared a ball back into the path of Stephen French who shot just grazed the post and wide. The game became a little predictable and stale with both defences clearing aimlessly, but that worked in Naas Utd favour after Jamie Dunne cleared long Stephen French raced after it and rounded the keeper and had to get a quick shot away under pressure from Cormac Burke, but again his effort struck the post and away to safety. Naas added a third on the hour mark with JP Higgins winning a vital header on the halfway line the ball broke to Darragh Flaherty who showed immaculate control and dribbling before getting to the endline and picking out Ross Callaghan on the six yard box for a simple tap in to make it 3-0.

Moone introduced Davey Wilson and he added a real fulcrum on which they could build an attack and that proved effective straight away after great hold up play by Wilson, who laid a ball to Callum Kelly who got a shot away but was comfortably saved by Keith Higgins. It was then Wilsons turned and he swivelled and got a shot away from distance that just flew wide after good build up play by Moone. Moone had a lot of possession in the second half but could not capitalise and JP Higgins and Jamie Dunne didn't miss a beat in the Naas Rearguard. A Valiant effort from Moone who played their part and have some excellent young and experienced players and will no doubt be back again. Naas showed their quality and were efficient in front of goal, as well as unassailable in defence. Best for Moone were, Cormac Burke, Aaron Dunne, Chris Heaslip, Callum Kelly put in real shift for a young man.

Best For Naas were JP Higgins, Jamie Dunne, Vernon Nolan , Jodan Martella, Darragh Flaherty, Victor and Stephen French up front was a constant danger.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page