top of page


League Cup action !

Coill Dubh AFC 3 2 Newbridge Hotpsurs FC.

The Lumsden Cup has always had a very special place in our hearts at Coill Dubh AFC, Tony played a

leading role on our committee in early 90s as club secretary. 

The Dubh's were up against a well drilled Newbridge side who came with a good game plan, and

almost pulled it off. In early exchanges hotspurs were looking the more lively side playing a very

direct game, with Murphy and Donahoe up front causing many problems for Dubh's defence.

Against the run of play Dubh's took the lead on the twenty second minute when Conor Brady

intercepted the ball from Newbridge keeper to slot home into the empty net to put the home side 1-

0 up. This did not affect hotspurs as they continued to dominate in the middle of the park and from

set pieces as they got a deserving equaliser from there centre half. 

At this stage Dubh's were struggling to get any foothold on game 1-1 HT. 

Coill Dubh management rang the changes bringing on Sean Hannon and Barry Noone. In fifty third

minute hotspurs were dealt a blow when reduced to ten men and then the Dubh's took the lead

again when good play from Sean Mac Mahon found Barry Noone whose effort was blocked falling to

Sean Hannon who rattled the net from fifteen yards. Hotspurs despite down to ten men were

causing havoc in Coill Dubh defence and soon were awarded a penalty when Trevor McDonald took

down a Newbridge forward. Regarded as one of the best shot stoppers in the league, Luke Anderson

pulled off one of many saves on the night. As the game entered final quarter, Newbridge were

pushing hard for equaliser and again Dubh's defence failed to deal with Kelly shot despite Anderson

getting fingers on it. With extra time looming there was be one more twist and Sean Hannon was to

be Coill Dubh's hero with a ninetieth min winner with a great assist from Billy McNamee, Hannon

almost got his hattrick only for the Newbridge keeper and woodwork. While it was a win for Dubh's,

hotspurs deserved a lot of credit and were the better side for much of the game. Newbridge had fine

performance from Hatita and Doyle in defence, Kelly & Glynn in midfield and up-front Donohoe and

Murphy. For Coill Dubh Sean MacMahon in a more advanced role, Barry Noone and two goal hero

Sean speedy Hannon. Luke Anderson whose heroics in Coill Dubh goals was a deserving man of the


Clane United FC 3 2 Rathangan AFC

When these teams meet in recent seasons they tend to bring the best out in each other . Clane

started well with plenty of nice football without really troubling Rathangan. Rathangan took the lead

in the opening twenty minutes as Arun Doyle spun and unleashed a shot just inside the Clane half

which had John ball scramblings back towards his goal and could only parry the ball out to lee Moore

who reacted quickest to make it 1 0. Doyle and Moore were creating problems for Clane and Moore

doubled the lead on the half hour as he got in behind the Clane defence and made no mistake . 

Clane went close to pulling one back as Gavin O Dwyer hit the top of the crossbar from close range

from a set piece from Ciaran Kelly .  Cathal Geoghegan also had a header from a Another Kelly

delivery go wide .  Rathangan sitting Back protecting their lead still looked a danger on the break .

Moore broke free again similar to his second goal one and one with ball but this time ball made the

save which would have it made it very difficult for Clane to stay alive in the cup as the visitors went

in 2 up at the break. 

Clane came out very strong in the second half and piled the pressure on and two minutes in Maguire

broke down the right flank and crossed low for the incoming dean Comiskey to pull one back .  Clane

in full control soon made it 2 2 when Ciaran Kelly expertly finished Just inside the box.  Clane who

seemed to be winning every 50 50 now had a great chance to take the lead as Maguire was clean

through on Craig Shannon who saved and somehow got up to deny Kelly from the rebound .  On the

seventieth minute Clane’s comeback was complete when Dean Comiskey smartly finished from close

range .  Clane looked the more likely to add the next goal as the away side looked jaded from the

comeback.  To Rathangan’s credit they dug deep and in the closing stages ball was forced into two

smart saves from close range . Best for Clane Dean Comiskey Geoghegan, Kelly and Gavin O Dwyer

and Killian Pathcell superb second half after getting to grips with the impressive Doyle and Moore

who caused them problems in the first half . 

League Shield Action !

Celbridge Town AFC 1 2 Ballycane Celtic FC

Ballycane looked to put recent defeats behind them with a good showing in the Lumsden shield

away to Celbridge Town on Wet Saturday evening. 

Celbridge grabbed an early opening goal after the seven minutes against the run of play. Ballycane

not deterred by the early set-back played some tidy football out from the back with Bubba Doyle

and Keelan Noone linking the play well. Callum o Reilly  applied a brilliant finish to a Hazzard 

through ball after 20 minutes to level the score for the cane. Ballycane in total control of the tie at

this stage and should of crept ahead of numerous occasions with Jake O Reilly and Herbert both

going close to breaking the deadlock. Ballycane grab the lead on the half hour mark when Keelan

Noone latched on to a Bubba Doyle header to score a superb volley to put Ballycane in the lead at

the break. 

Celbridge Town came out strong in the second half and played some good football without any real

scoring opportunities. Ballycane were under pressure for twenty minute spell but were organised at

the back with Doyle, Byrne, Aylesbury and O Sullivan impervious to the danger. Ballycane just

couldn't find the same consistency as the first half and were guilt of squandering possession on a

number of occasions. Craig Byrne and O Reilly had some good attacking runs down the left flank but

couldn't work a clear cut chance .

The final chance of the game was well work by Ballycane a excellent whipped in ball by Sam Allison

found the right boot of Noone who applied neat volley and was heading for the back of the net but

for an excellent save by the Celbridge keeper who had a fine game.Best for Ballycane on the day

were both O Reilly’s, Craig Byrne, Keelan Noone  and Man of the Match Bubba Doyle.

Caragh Celtic 2 SPWFC 0

Premier side Caragh Celtic overcame Senior League side St. Patricks Well FC on Sunday to progressed

to the quarter final stages of the KDFL League shield. On a lovely morning for football on a top

quality pitch, a scrappy and competitive local derby was played out in Sharpe Park.

Caragh started the brighter and went ahead after wonderful play from Billy Martin, he turned three

defenders inside out and was brought down with the ref left with no option but to point to the

penalty spot. Up stepped Eoghan Merriman who made no mistake in putting it past the SPWFC

keeper. Caragh took this 1-0 lead. After going behind the visitors continued to dominate possession

but without creating much in the way of clear-cut chances. Their best chance of the half fell the way

of Danny Callan who flicked the ball just wide of the Caragh netminder’s post on thirty three minutes

following a well-worked move involving Sheldon Mbala, Reece McClaughlin and Jamie Headon.


The Old Bog Road men made a number of positional changes after the break and resultantly looked

more threatening in the final third with James Maher, Danny Callan and McLaughlin all threatening

the opposition goal however they could not break down the Caragh backline of Barry Cassidy in

goals and a back 4 of Cathal O'Toole, Adam Delmer, Sean Leeson and Alan Campbell.

It was a scrappy affair in the second half with lots of 50/50s but it was Caragh who nearly went two

up after Tony Farrell won a 50/50 tackle in the midfield and he got up to slide a through ball for

Stephen Riordan whose shot was well save by the keeper. At the other end McLaughlin would go

close again in the seventy eight minute when he flashed a header just wide but just as it looked an

equaliser was coming for the top flight outfit

With the game heading in to injury time Caragh sealed the game when substitute Brian Merrigan

won a header outside his own box and continued his run up the wing, the loose ball fell to Tony

Farrell in the middle and he the slid an inch perfect through ball for Merrigan and he expertly slid the

ball past the keeper to deservedly seal the game for the home side.

Excellent performances on the day by all in the Caragh jersey with standout performances from

Cathal O'Toole, Sean Leeson, Tony Farrell, Dean Heavey, Stephen Riordan and MOTM Adam Delmer

while for SPWFC  Sheldon and Marvin Mbala, Richard Kenna, James Maher and Jamie Headon were

best on the day.

Suncroft AFC 1 3 Kilcullen AFC

Both teams arrived in good form with some decent recent results into a keenly anticipated Lumsden

Cup Quarter final on a perfect pitch in Suncroft Community Grounds.With both teams having beaten

the other away from home in the league 3:1, it was always going to be a close game. Kilcullen

started well, playing some good possession football with Darren Kilbey rolling back the years and

showing why his class, holding the ball up well up front and bringing others into the game. Both

Mark Wolfe and the ever willing Doyler on each wing supported and ran at the Suncroft defence

from the start.

Kilcullen took the lead on twenty minutes when Doyle broke into the box, turned and was taken

down by Suncoft full back. Up stepped Mark Wolfe and cooly slotted the penalty away.The visitors

went two nil up when a Mark Wolfe shot was parried by the Suncroft keeper and the ball fell to Paul

Clifford who arrived into the box to slot the ball away. The first half finished 2 nil Kilcullen. 

Suncroft started the second half very well and pressed the Kilcullen goal and were rewarded with a

goal when a cross wasn’t dealt with and landed to Kieron Morris who chipped the ball across the

Kilcullen goal and landed in the corner of the net. Game on, it would be fair to say Suncroft gave

their all and any team with Sheehy, Morris, Connolly and Kinsella in there midfield are going to

deliver and make chances. Alas the Scanlon brother and Shane Higgins defended as they have done

all season and created a platform for Rob Lee, Paul Clifford and Murph to drive their team on.

Victory for Kilcullen was delivered as it often has this season with the left foot of Mark Wolfe

delivering and unstoppable shot to the top corner.The game finished 3:1 Kilcullen. Best for Suncroft ,

Kinsella and Sheehy. Best for Kilcullen, Doyle, Scanlon Brothers, Woulfe but Shane Higgins showed

his class today

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page