top of page


So Fresh Entertainment Womens Division

Enfield Celtic FC 2 Monasterevin AFC 2

A draw was a fair result in this second meeting this season for Enfield Celtic and Monasterevin AFC. As the first it was a hard battle between the sides. The opening fifteen was played at a frantic pace as either side tried to exert dominance.

The visitors defence of Ciara Morrissey, Bernie Byland and Eleanor Scully were equal to the task of Enfield’s best efforts. They were backed up by the excellent Alice Breen between the sticks for Monasterevin.

It was the away side who drew first blood after nineteen minutes when Holly Ures showed excellent turn of foot to beat two Enfield defenders and blast the ball to the bottom corner of the home net to put Monasterevin 1-0 up. Three minutes later Monasterevin could have doubled their advantage when the impressive Louise Scully was played through by the quick thinking Jenny Conroy, however the home keeper did well to come off her line and smother the ball to safety.

The home keeper was living a charmed life at this stage as she was again called into action just four minutes later when some good link up play from Louise Scully, Kate Scully and Brianne Kaye saw Louise through on goal but yet again the keeper was quick off her line to snuff out the danger to keep Enfield in the game.

It wasn’t all one way traffic either as visiting keeper Alice Breen was called into action on the half hour mark to parry an excellent effort from their striker and the follow up effort was sent wide by the striker.

Just before half time disaster struck for the visitors when defender Ciara Morrissey had to retire through injury having played very well in the opening stages of the game. Monasterevin went in at the break defending their slender 1-0 lead.

Enfield were quick out of the blocks in the second half and within three minutes Monasterevin were struck to the core with two quick strikes from the Meath women to put them 2-1 up. The visitors midfield of Rebecca Broughan, Julia Broughan, Brianne kaye, Holly Ures and Abby Kemmy who came on at half time had to work hard to get back in the game. Within ten minutes Abby Kemmy showed great skill to evade her marker and rattle the crossbar. The next twenty minutes were played in a midfield battle. With eight minutes remaining Monasterevin got a deserved equaliser when The impressive Kemmy made no mistake the second time to fire past the stranded home keeper when she pounced on a loose ball in the box. The lively Louise Scully and Melissa Scully who came on in second half were causing serious problems for the home defence but just couldn’t get the killer goal.

Disaster struck again for Monasterevin in the 86th minute when Kate Scully went down with an injury to the knee. Again after treatment the game resumed and in 90th minute a shot from Louise Scully hit the crossbar nearly earning all three points for Monasterevin. However the barrowsiders had to be content with an away draw. Best for Monasterevin were Alice Breen in goal, Ciara Morrissey until injured, Holly Ures and Louise Scully.

53 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page