top of page

Feature Game

KDFL Under 20 Division 2

Kill Celtic FC 3 Rathangan AFC 3

This was shaping up to be a great afternoon of Football where two evenly matched sides were going to entertain supporters from both sides. It didn't disappoint either. After a very wet start to the day the rain stopped to leave a very damp wet and slippy fast surface just in time for tip off. 

Nobody knew who this would favour the best with all three points to play for. Both teams warmed up in close proximity to each other, keeping an eye and trying to get the measure of each other. The time finally came and the official for Gary O Neill did his final checks of both teams and called the Captains into the centre of the Pitch. The match got under way and was a very fast start for both teams with tackles flying in, both teams setting out their stall early to give an indication of how the next ninety minutes would be played. The question was who was going to get hold of this game first. It was fairly even until the fourteenth minutes the first meaningful attempt on goal came. A super effort from Kill’s number 9 Tommy Nolan after a quick through ball from Mark Lee resulting in a great save from Rathangan goalkeeper Feilim Doyle to keep the score at 0-0.

The visitors then responded in similar fashion through a good passage of play from Jack Cannon and Colm Cunningham to test Kill Keeper Benjamin Rowe who pulled off an unbelievable save to keep the scores level.  Following some good efforts from Rathangan’s Cannon and Eoghan McMullen they eventually broke the deadlock on twenty minutes when after a nice one-two between Darragh Sinnott and Cannon on the edge of the box put the forward through and he slotted home. The Rathangan goal caused Kill to raise their game and they replied with two quick goals, the first when Paddy Phillips quickly steps up to take throw-in and plays in Kill Number 11 Adam Maguire who slotted the ball to 10 Conor Reilly. Reilly then took a superb twenty yard curling shot on goal and smashed into the top corner to level matters. Soon after the home side found themselves 2-1 up when they were gaining in confidence now and on twenty eight minutes Rathangan keeper Doyle made a great save from Captain Max McCanns however Adam Maguire was on hand to follow up on the rebound and put the ball in the back of the net. A superb piece of teamwork and relentless play from Kill Celtic 2-1.

Rathangan were not to have this and pushed on and rallied the troops and created two good chances. The first chance fell to Cunningham after some good play by Oisin Conroy on the left wing, his cross found the forward who rattled the crossbar from the edge of the 18-yard box. The second chance saw Cannon break through the Kill defence and hit a fierce drive, the crossbar again came Kills rescue. (2-1 Half time)

With conditions deteriorating on the resumption it was more of a scrappy affair. Rathangan’s midfield of Finn Black, Dan Foley and Sinnott battled with Kills midfield for control of the game. Cannon’s second of the game came in the five minute in when they won the ball in midfield and the ball came to Cunningham, he ran at the Kill defence and played an inch perfect through ball to Cannon who finished with aplomb to make it 2-2. Rathangan continued to push for another and it almost came five minutes later when Josh Foran carried the ball from deep and played a defence splitting pass into Cunningham who rounded the keeper but dragged his shot narrowly. wide.

Kill were not about to let the visitors get the better of them and It took some great skill on sixty eight minutes from Alex Donohoe Fields to take on Rathangan’s full back on the right hand side to burst into the box and play Conor Troy through and he calmly slotted the ball past Doyle in the visiting goal to put the home side 3-2 up. Kill were in front again which led to a great spectacle of football for the last twenty minutes. Both teams piled on the pressure and the speed of the game did not subside. Referee Gary O Neill had to put a shift in today running box to box.  As the game entered the dying seconds of injury time Rathangan were awarded a free kick inside kill’s half. Eimhin ONeill was fouled on the edge of the box. The free kick from Black was met by McMullen with a looping header that dropped in under the crossbar, giving McMullen his first goal of the season. A draw being a fair result in this entertaining tie. Best for the home side were McGuire and Reilly while for Rathangan McMullen and Cunningham excelled with Cannon their man of the match. 

10 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page