top of page

KDFL Senior Division Team Focus

KDFL League Shield

Newbridge Town AFC 3 0 Ballycane Celtic FC

Ballycane closed out their season with a defeat to Masters High flyers Newbridge Town. Ballycane got off to a reasonably good with Dean Preston and Bubba Doyle dictating all the early play in the middle off the park. Newbridge Town broke the Deadlock after Milton Benitez whipped a cross field ball to Jamie Gray who controlled impeccable on the chest before rifling home a volley pass Kevin Higgins to give the home side the lead on the half hour mark. Ballycane did have a couple of decent chances the best falling to Dean Preston who couldn't direct his header goal bound after an excellent delivery by Bubba Doyle. Stephen Durney for Ballycane and the evergreen Robbie Donnelly had a back and forth tussle throughout the half with the veteran defender using all his experience to nullify the threats. Kevin Higgins kept Ballycane just the goal down after a string of fine saves to end the half.

Ballycane didn't turn up for the first fifteen minutes of the second half and were punished emphatically after Milton Benitez raced through on goal to prod the ball under Higgins to double Newbridge Town lead. Keelan Noone and Bubba Doyle had some strong runs through the middle of park but couldn't work a clear cut opportunity. Newbridge Town grabbed their third of the game from the penalty spot after their striker was taken out by Craig Byrne and Ray Coleman dispatched the penalty expertly. Newbridge could have had a couple more but for some last-ditch tackles by Bubba Doyle and Dan Whittaker. Ballycane again with the bare minimum were carrying a lot of injuries to the starting lineup but full credit to Newbridge Town who were a classy football side and deserved winners. Best for Ballycane, Josh,Dean, Stephen and Bubba Doyle. Newbridge Town had fine performances from Ray Coleman, Robbie Donnelly, Benitez and the Impressive Jamie Gray.

Newbridge Hotspurs FC 2 4 Suncroft AFC

Suncroft progressed to the League shield semi-final stage where they will take on near neighbours Kildare Town AFC after a hard earned win away to Newbridge Hotspurs on Sunday morning. 'Spurs came closest early on when an in-swinging corner was kept out only by the goal post. Suncroft took the lead with twenty minutes played, Kieran Sheedy finding Niall Flynn to finish from the edge of the area. Flynn would grab his second later in the half to give the away side a 2-0 lead at the break.

The home side struck first in the second half looking to set up a comeback reminiscent of the league match between the same two sides where 'Spurs came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2. It wasn't to be the same on this occasion as Flynn grabbed his hat-trick on the hour mark with a powerfully struck shot after cutting in from the right wing. 'Spurs set up a grandstand finish by pulling another goal back with 15 mins left to play. Suncroft handled everything the home side threw at them in the remaining minutes with Shane Higgins and Cathal Mahon excellent in defence. Niall Flynn would cap his excellent performance with a fourth goal in the eighty eight minute with Willy Hayes beating two defenders and pulling the ball back for Flynn who made no mistake from close range.

Standout performers for Suncroft were under 17 'keeper Scott Doyle making his first team debut, Shane Higgins, Cathal Mahon, Kieran Sheedy and man of the match Niall Flynn.

LFA Junior Cup Action !

Campile United FC 2 5 Clane United FC

Clane United progressed to the next round of the Leinster FA Junior Cup when they overcame Wexford premier league side Campile United FC. Clane started well and after four minutes Eoghan Maguire put James Ralph through on goal but he hit the upright with his shot, Clane showing their intent early on. Soon after Campile went up the pitch and had a shot which Adam Mazur saved well after 6 minutes. Four minutes later Campile drew first blood when they broke down a Clane attack and finished neatly past Mazur. The home side now firmly in the driving seat won a penalty eight minutes later when Mazur saved brilliantly to his right.

Clane began to make a stamp on the game and Andy Brogan volley just wide from an Eoghan Maguire cross on twenty five minutes and five minutes later Brogan also a free kick well saved by the home keeper.

Five minutes before the break Clane’s Stephen Dunne made a run out of defence and found James Ralph who had his shot saved well saved by the busy home keeper. Three minutes later Clane deservedly equalised when Stephen Dunne played a great ball to put Eoghan Maguire through to make it 1-1, both sides went in deadlocked at the break with all to play for.

Clane again started the second half well and Andy Brogan had a shot deflected for a corner after forty seven minutes and moment later Eoghan Maguire nearly beat the keeper with his corner.

On fifty one minutes James Ralph won a penalty which Stephen Dunne dispatched with ease to make it 2-1 to the Kildare side. Moments later they almost got a third when Rasdi Nsimba made a good run on the left-hand side and found James Ralph however he shot just wide.

On the hour Campile got a free kick and took it quick and deceived the Clane keeper to equalise at 2-2. Eight minutes later Clane were ahead again when Rasdi Nsimba volleyed into the top right corner from a James Ralph pass to make it 3-2 to the visitors.

On seventy-five minutes Dean Comiskey put James Ralph through but his shot was saved well by the home keeper. With eight minutes remaining Adam Mazur made an excellent save from a header from a corner. The visitors were well on top now and extended their lead with seven minutes on the clock when the impressive Eoghan Maguire headed in a Dean Comiskey corner to make it 4-2.

On the stroke of full time Clane finished an all-round great team performance when James Ralph played Eoghan Maguire through to make it 5-2. Best for Clane were Eoghan Maguire, Cathal Geoghegan, Stephen Leavy and Rhys Vaughan.

St Peters FC 1 2 Naas United FC

Naas United Fc travelled all the way to a fancied St Peter's team from Athlone in the LFA Junior Cup round 1 on Sunday morning. The game started at a very frantic pace with lots of high quality on show. Naas had their first good chance when Stephen French put his brother Ritchie in on goal with a superb through ball but Ritchie was unable to fire past the Peter's goalkeeper. Peters probed to find an opening in the Naas rearguard but Naas back four of Rox Higgins, Jamie Dunne, Jack Conway and Jordan Martella were superb and dealt with anything Peter’s threw at them with ease. The opening goal for Naas came on the twentieth minute when Stephen French again found his brother and this time Ritchie finished superbly with an acrobatic backheel to put Naas in the lead. United doubled their lead five minutes later with the move of the match when Jack Conway found Jamie Nolan who then found Samson Omoteso and his cross was dummied by Ritchie French for Stephen who drilled a shot to the roof of the Peter's net. Naas went in to the break leading 2-0 .

The second half saw Naas spurn a host of good chances with the French brothers and Daragh Faherty all going close .With five minutes to go St Peter's were awarded a penalty which was duly dispatched but Naas United held on for a well deserved and impressive win. Best for Naas were JP Higgins, Jamie Dunne and the French brothers, Jack Conway and Jordan Martella

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page